1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apply changes made to normal template (or quick style) to old documents in Word 2010

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by alma_gimpy, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alma_gimpy

alma_gimpy Thread Starter

I am running Word 2010 on a PC, running Windows 7.

I cannot figure out how to make changes to the "normal" template and have those changes apply to old word files.

In old versions of Windows and Office, I used to be able to make changes to the normal template by going in through the Appdata, and the changes that I made would be reflected in both new documents created, and old documents when selecting "normal" as a text style. However, now I cannot even make changes to the normal template by going through file locations and saving changes.

I can only make changes to the normal quick style icon (by right clicking on "modify" and then applying all changes to "new documents based on this template.") However, this does not alter the "normal" quick style icon in files saved prior to making the changes to the normal template. How can I get my updated normal template to apply to all documents, not just new ones?

OR- maybe there is another solution...

The reason I need the normal template to apply to all documents is that in the new word, I cannot copy and paste and maintain source formatting (even when pasting special and selecting "keep source formatting".) The paste always takes on the destination style, and if the destination style has a "normal" template that is different from the source "normal" style, it automatically selects the destination style and WILL NOT keep source formatting. I have several documents that were created on my computer by co-workers who did not ever change the "normal" template from word's defaults (body style, font 11 with 10 point spacing) and thus I cannot get any of my new documents, or old documents (from word 2003 and before) to copy into these documents without changing style to reflect word's default normal style (without going in and changing the normal quick style for that page of course- which I do not want to do for every single document).
    Is there another way to get around the source formatting block? The only solution I could find is that the normal styles have to be the same for it to paste properly. And so that is why I was looking for a solution to creating a normal template that applies to all word documents.
    (And I do not want to paste as picture or HTML or something, because it needs to be editable still).

Any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!