1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apps.inf File Missing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gretchco, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gretchco

gretchco Thread Starter

The message saying that the APPS.INF file is missing and needs to be copied from Win 98 disk appears when I try to download from the internet, and when I try to remove certain programs. I also get an "access denied" message when downloading. I have searched the computer for it and it is gone. I have a problem though, I do not have the disks. When I bought the computer it already had Win98, but no hardware with it. Any advice? Please help. Thanks.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Hopefully you have the cabs on the hard drive. try this. Go to start>run and type Sfc Press enter

Choose to extract one file fromt he install disk.
    Restore apps.inf

Restore from:
    C:\windows\options\cabs

Restore to:
    C:\windows\inf

As for the advice? I would say that if you bought a computer with no restore disk or installCD that you need to go back and tell them that you have a right to be able to resinstall your system at some point. You bought the computer with Windows pre installed. You have a licensed copy of windows. (or I hope you do) It is your right.

3. gretchco

gretchco Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. But the file still cannot be found. Anything else I should try? Do you think I should go to where I bought the computer and ask them to reinstall windows 98 for me? Or maybe just that file? How do you imagine I lost it anyway? Thanks again.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Sometimes files get lost. I cannot believe they didn't even give you the cabs. You absolutely have the right to a disk.

TRy this in case you do have the cabs but not in the usual place.
    Go to find files and do a search for *.cab
    See what you come up with.

5. gretchco

gretchco Thread Starter

Ok, I tried it. There are 30 files under cabs, but nothing seemed familiar to me (I don't know much about computers though, obviously). I also noticed that my Windows Help doesn't work either. It says: %systemroot%\help\windows.chm What is that all about? Thanks.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

In which folder are these cabs located?
    They should have names like Win98_63.cab

I am trying to find out what you have lost. EDIT: And whether or not you have a source on the hard drive to replace the files you have lost
    If you are having major problems because of lost files this will point to a greater problem. Possibly a disk problem or virus or have you recently performed a lot if uninstalls or done some housecleaning?

Have a look in the Recycle Bin on the off chance that they are in there. If so, restore them.

Do a thorough up to Date Virus Scan. Here's a link to a free one online in case you don't have one yourself:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Run Scandisk. Do the Thorough scan as well to be sure you do not have a physical problem with your disk.

%systemroot%\help\windows.chm means that your help file is missing.
    You need a source to replace the missing files.
    And to find out why so many are missing. That's where the AV etc comes in.

7. gretchco

gretchco Thread Starter

You were right! I went to the site and found the troj_sircam.b virus. I had 48 infected files. Its clean now, I hope. But the files are still gone. About the cabs: There are Windows folders like runhelp.cab, mini.cab, rb002.cab and more like that. There are also program files like Mdac11.cab, ident.cab, qmgr.cab and data1.cab. Scandisk? Don't know how to do it. I was told to buy a new Operating System and start from scratch, what do you think? I hope not.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I would first go to where you bought that computer and ask them for the disk they owe you. Then I would try an install without a format to replace all the missing files. That may not go well. You have a lot of damage, but you can try it.

Otherwise, you will need to format the drive and reinstall from scratch. Either way, you absolutely have to have an Install CD.

Start saving your files and program installs, any drivers you downloaded etc. Do you have a Burner? Or possibly other partitions to save to?

To run scandisk, you have to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut everything down but Explorer and systray. Then go and change your screensaver to none.
    Type Scandiskw into the Start>Run box and press enter.

When the program starts, Choose Standard or thorough (but you found your cause. Sircam. )

Click the advanced button and be sure to select Free Lost file Fragments or you could have a ton of useless files on your C Drive.

Scandisk takes no time at all if you are only checking your files. If you suspect disk damage, a thorough Scandisk takes a while. While you run scandisk, leave the computer. If you so much as movbe the mouse, it will have to start over again. Let it run until it's finished.

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Here's a link top the sircam removal tool from Symantec.

You can use it to be sure you are really clean.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

You may just be better off wiping your hard drive and starting over. It depends on how much damage you have sustained and whether or not you removed the Worm totally.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice