1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Apps not starting properly, sys. recov. doesn't work, can't shut down properly, etc..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ieatyouz, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ieatyouz

ieatyouz Thread Starter

I have no idea what my sister and her friends were doing on the comp for a couple of days that i decided not to use it, but now:

- a few programs take forever to load or don't load at all, but they do show up under the processes tab in the task manager
    - after pressing Ctrl Alt Del, the task manager icon appears in the system tray, but the thing only shows up a minute later
    - my system recovery is "not able to protect my computer," and restarting does nothing
    - actually, when restarting or shutting down Windows, it stops at where it only shows my desktop background and cursor [which is still able to move] and nothing else after that, so i have to hold the power button and force it to shut off
    - when I right click the desktop and click on "Properties..." [or something similar to this action] it doesn't show up at all, and whenever I try to open any application after that, they don't even load at all either

Things i've tried to get rid of these problems:
    - Virus scan with avast!, a couple viruses found and fixed, but nothing changed.
    - disk clean up, nothing changed
    - registry clean, nothing changed
    - CURRENTLY defragging my C drive, hope something changes..

Anyone know what the heck's going on!?
    Anyone got any suggestions on what to do next?
    Anything helps and would be greatly appreciated!

2. ieatyouz

ieatyouz Thread Starter

no replies yet? :(

anyway, just stopped by to say that when shutting down, it takes forever to get to the "Saving your settings..." screen, and that's where I decided that it stops and nothing else after that.
    Defragged my C drive, still no results besides the computer feeling a bit smoother-running o_o

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice