1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

APU throttling for no reason

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Donyay, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donyay

Donyay Thread Starter

Rig.
    Rx 480, undervolted to stop throtting at high temps.
    A8 A8 6600k
    450w

I have an amd apu that refuses to stay at a set clock speed while gaming, even if I'm using my discrete gpu the apu will throttle. Ill get an average 300-360 fps in csgo low settings then when something intensive happens it drops to as low 40 with a huge lag spike making it unplayable.
    Settings in game dont effect these lag spikes, but do effect average fps.
    Using the cpuz app I see my core speed and apu mulltiplier doesn't change until I get those lag spikes and they both drop signifigantly. (The multiplier goes from 42 to either 19 or 32 usually)
    Ive disabled every power saving option in the bios and control center options have been set to max performance. Amd power now is off and I don't have cool and quiet as an option. I've updated drivers an bios.
    Also my cpu is locked in offset mode, idk if that would have anything to do with it. (I have messed with its settings an got no change in performance)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The AMD A8-6600K APU processor and AMD Radeon RX 480 graphic card in your gaming rig use a combined total of 250W of power.
    cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

You didn't provide the brand name and model number of that 450W power supply, so we don't know at this point if it's a quality one.
    Even if it is, your gaming rig probably needs one with more wattage.

I'm not a gamer nor an over-clocker, so someone else here who is can address those issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Donyay

Donyay Thread Starter

Update: pretty sure it's an over heating problem. Thermal margin drops to 8 under load causing usage to drop to 50%

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice