1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Archiving email messages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tzar, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzar

tzar Thread Starter

Hello Everyone...

I am using Outlook Express for my IMAP emails. After a few years, I have A LOT of emails in my INBOX which I still need to keep.

I have heard that there are softwares available that can enable me to upload these messages, have them stored in a database-like storage, and if I need to look at any one of them all I need to do is run a query, like, say, search for a particular sender, and all the mails sent by that particular person will appear.

What I need to know is the name of that software(s) and what's the storage like, eg, are the messages stored in a server, or just a separate hard disk in the local machine?

Please advise.

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think you can save separate email as .eml files. If that is not convenient, make a folder in Outlook Express (assuming that is your email application). Move all the messages in that folder.

Then, if the name of the folder is ImpMsgs, look out for ImpMsgs.dbx and keep a backup of that. Occassionally, keep backing up this file and your mails would have been backup. You can restore mails from the file later.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

i'd use OE Backup linked from Tomsterdam's site http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

not only do you back up all your settings etc in case of PC/hdd crash, b ut all your messages are there too

should probably use folders more to sort the messages, or use message rules to d/l them into the correct folder in the first place

and keep a copy of DBExtract around too (also on the above site), to pull individual messages out of .dbx files as you need them

dragging messages to the desktop and putting in folders is a lot of work...and a real drag (pun intended!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice