1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are 9-pin Serial Ports Compatible with 15-pin serial ports?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nfe2019, Sep 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. nfe2019

nfe2019 Thread Starter

I am trying to connect my HP monitor to my new Dell desktop pc. The HP monitor has a 15-pin serial port, but the desktop has no serial port, so I am now looking to buy an adapter to convert my serial port to a usb.

However online I cannot find any serial port that looks like my own. When I type in "15-pin serial port," I get pictures of serial ports that are much longer than my own and would clearly not fit. My 15-pin serial port (see attached pictures) is stouter and has 3 rows of 5.

But when I look at pictures of 9-pin ports online, I cannot imagine that they would fit in my monitor.

So what is the solution here? How do I connect my monitor to my desktop? What adapter should I purchase? Why can I not find my serial port online? Am I using the wrong search terms?

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your HP monitor(no description given) has a standard 15-pin VGA video port which is usually blue or black in color.

You didn't provide any images of the panel on the rear of your Dell desktop(no description given), so we don't know which video port(s) it has.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. nfe2019

nfe2019 Thread Starter

Attached Files:

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the 7-character service tag number on the back of its case, you have this Dell Inspiron 5676 Desktop PC.
    (Note: You should add and save this webpage in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed)

From what I can see in your last image:
    I can't tell if it has a dedicated graphics card in the top-most expansion slot.
    It has 2 cables plugged into high-speed USB ports.
    It has the ethernet cable plugged in.
    It has the audio cable plugged in.
    I can't tell what the cable directly below the audio cable is plugged into.

The image that you provided a webpage link to is a DisplayPort-To-VGA adapter.
    I believe your desktop has a HDMI video port and not a DisplayPort video port.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Update:

Your desktop appears to have an AMD Radeon RX 580 4 GB graphics card in the top-most expansion slot.
    It appears to have both HDMI and DisplayPort video ports, but I can't tell for sure.

I've never used HDMI-To-VGA or DisplayPort-To-VGA video adapters, so I don't know how well they work.
    You should consider buying a newer flat-screen monitor which has a HDMI video port.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Adapters are hit and miss....if you do decide to go that route just make sure it's active (powered). They are little bit more in price.

That said.....you would be better off buying an HDMI cable

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice