1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are all Micro ATX power supplies the same?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kcrawford4, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kcrawford4

kcrawford4 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion 6545C and the power supply just died. If I order the part from HP's web site it's $65. Can I replace it with any micro ATX power supply (provided it's at least as many watts as the old one)? They are much cheaper elsewhere.
    Thanks.

2. RandyG

RandyG

For the most part, I would say yes to your question, but some companies do use proprietary components to force clients to keep coming back to them. The best thing I would suggest is to take a good look at your power supply, especially where the mounting screws would go in, as well as where it would be mounted in the case. Make sure they are in the same location on the new Power Supply. Take the old Power Supply along when you go shopping for a new one, to make a comparison.

Best bit of advice I could give is to make sure whoever you buy it from has a return policy in case it doesn't fit.

3. crabman

crabman Guest

NO I THINK YOU CAN BUY DIFFERENT WATTAGES YOU WANT 200 OR 230 WATTS I THINK DONT UNDER POWER YOUR MACHINE ASK COMPAQ ABOUT THE PITFALLS OF THAT

QUOTE; HERE I SIT BROKEN HEARTED COME TO CRAP BUT ONLY FARTED

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Electrically, they are all the same except for variations in wattage. Size, shape and bolt patterns will vary from major brand to major brand.

I had one in my shop just two weeks ago that needed a power supply. The bolt pattern was the same; but, the depth (distance front to back) was shallow. We could have used a standard 250-watt, $35 power supply but for the depth. Or, we could have gone to HP for a $200-watt for $85. Problem was that the CD-ROM drive was in the way of the standard one. The customer decided she would rather have the CD-ROM drive pushed out the front of the computer an inch and a half (ugly) rather than pay the $50 tribute to HP.

I understood her frustration at such a higher price for an obviously inferior product.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice