1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are CD Sticker Labels Safe?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eoJeoJ, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I use the sticker labels quite a bit, and I was wondering if the added thickness is OK to play in a slot inserted CD Player, like the in-dash CD changers in cars? Would the added thickness cause the CD to get stuck?

Also, is it OK to put sticker labels on CD-Rs with Printable Surfaces? I read some where that its bad to do this with Printable Surfaces, because its easy for the label to peel off or something.

I'd love to hear peoples' experiences with Label Stickers, good or bad...Thanks!

:D

2. abbyk

abbyk

I presume you mean non cd-shaped stickers - ie rectangular ones for envelopes etc. ?

Then - true - they are bad for cd's for a couple of reasons.

1. as you say they can unpeel/tear - and if they do when inside the reader... well - can be quite a mess as you can imagine.

2. they have weight - even tho small, and when placed one or other side of centre will unbalance the cd. And cdroms spinning at 52* speed = about 13,000rpm. Not good !

But - hey I'm rather picky & maybe you can get away with it ;)

abbyk

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Recent tests have shown that CD labels can drastically shorten the useable (readable) life of a CD. There can be an interaction between the adhesive and the top (reflective) layer, causing a loss of reflectivity.

4. joe2cool

joe2cool

I prefer not to use labels as such even though do look 'pretty' because in the past had problems with 'warping' etc

5. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone! They're much appreciated! Keep 'em coming hahah...

To abbyk: I am mostly talking about CD Shaped stickers...as well as these "Base Only" Stickers, I forgot the real name, but they're basically 1/3rd the size of regular CD stickers...the ones meant for Vinyl CD-Rs (http://www.verbatim.com/images/products/94667.jpg)

To kiwiguy: Does that only apply to the cheaper CDs that have no coating on the top side? Or every single CD?

Thanks everyone!

6. thecaravanman

thecaravanman

Hi,

Do you know if any of these problems also affect DVDs??

THanks,
    /\/\ /-\ TT !

7. n2gun

n2gun

Another problem is with the heat generated when playing them, they will develope bubbles between the stcker and cd. This can lead to problems with clearance, balance, etc. I would recommend not using them.

8. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

I certainly also wouldn't use them because, it causes the CD to spin unevenly, creating problems.

9. joe2cool

joe2cool

Totally agree stick with the CD-R Pens ! ;)

10. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you've ever seen a CD drive that has had a disk disintegrate inside, you'd reconsider sticking anything that might unbalance the disk onto it! :D

12. Rotgut

Rotgut

I used them a few times, and am not happy with them. I have a couple of cd's that the edges are peeling up!

13. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!