1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are CELERON processors all that bad?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by BigDaveinNJ, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

OK... this computer is a DELL PIII 450 Mhz which has 128 meg of ram and a 16 meg video card.

Now... I saw an outstanding deal on a PC with a 2.4 gig CELERON processor and 256 meg of ram and a 32 meg video card.

Would I notice an improvement going from the PIII 450 to the 2.2 gig.... even though the latter is a CELERON?

What is the problem, in general, with CELERONS? Are they alot slower than a PIII or P4?

Just wondering........

DAVID in NJ :)

2. dai

dai

i use celerons all the time,because of the price.
    i only surf so they suit me.
    you should see a big difference upgrading but i would get them to double the ram

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

4. McTimson

McTimson

If you get that PC, you will definitely notice an improvement. While Celeron's may not have much cache, which does affect performance, a 2.2 Celeron is certainly better than a 450 PIII. Plus the fact that this PC would have 256MB of RAM, which would greatly improve performance.

As long as you don't play any brand-new games (which I don't think you would be, since you have a 16MB video card), you will definitely noticean improvement.

5. HexStar

HexStar Guest

yes, Celron processors are horable. Only get a pc with a Celron processor if you're on a budget.

6. McTimson

McTimson

....or if what you're using the computer for doesn't require massive CPU cache, and can do just fine with a lot of mhZ. (like internet browsing, email, music, movies, etc.) As long as you're not using programs that require lots of power (games, CAD stuff, image rendering), you'll be fine. It all depends on what you use the computer for.

7. PROJECT

PROJECT

I dont know why you just wouldnt get an Athon XP for about the same price as a Celeron but much better performance

8. sharky

sharky

I had a 633mhz/256mb/7.5gbHD/celeron with dsl.

Now i have a 2.3/256mb/40gb/pen4 with dsl.

maybe because of dsl,i do not see any great benefits with the pen 4,keeping in mind i just surf and watch audio streaming 99.99% of the time. so far,and i could go to prison for this:eek: , i was just as happy with the celeron computer with dsl

9. McTimson

McTimson

Exactly, because you're not oding many processor intensive things. If you were trying to play games, or encode media, then you would notice a huge difference.

10. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

you can always upgrade the cpu to a p4 later on down the road and see a big differance

11. Spinach

Spinach

Yup, buddhafabio has a good idea! Thats what i usually do if i upgrade to a different socket processor. Go Celeron first then up to the better processor later so you don't have to lump out too much money at once! The 2.2 Celeron is going to keep you happy for a while, i'm sure.

Hex, where's your justification? :)

12. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

My Emachines had a Celeron, and crashed a couple times, but that may be because it was a 700MHZ and had 98. Lol...My new one hasn't really crashed on me yet, touch wood it won't, and it's got a Pentium 4 2GHZ W/XP that may be why.

13. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

I would just stick with the INTEL PENTIUM 4 Processor's, i want a HT (Hyper Threading) 3.2GHZ.

14. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

i like that new celerons they are very worth it...if you are in a pickle money wise

the new ones can do all teh stuff that the pentium 3 and 4's can do.........but they ARE slower than pentium 4's

here's the order

486Dx266
    Pentium
    OLD Celeron
    Penitum 2
    Pentium 3
    NEW Celeron
    Pentium 4

k?

they are not crap......though........in comparison to pentium 4's they are worse.......

it's a good chip though.

it's just had some of it's nads cut off (ok...bad example)

15. lanxprt

lanxprt

I have been running the same dual Celeron 366 computer since 1999 with W2K Advanced server on it for my home network. It is bullet proof. And if you want to get real geeky you can overclock those Cellies with no problem !

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice