1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

are chipmunks living inside my computer?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ebonyruffles, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles Thread Starter

I've searched for posts about Windows Media Player sounding like a chipmunk but can't find an answer. Most files play fine but certain ones are way too fast. If I open the "chipmunk file" with other applications they are fine. I've tried iTunes, VLC, Quicktime & Nero & they play fine.
    If it was the soundcard, wouldn't it play funny in any application? I'm stumped! I didn't explain it very well I'm afraid. I've been at this computer for hours trying to find an answer & I'm very tired. This happens with WMP 10 as well as 11. I did the uninstall & reinstall the exact way Microsoft recommended. Both versions have the chipmunk thing.
    The only thing different I did was install software for my new camera which is a Canon Powershot A430. This was 3 days ago. I can't see a connection, but it's a coincidence the trouble started soon afterwards.
    This only happens with certain podcasts I have saved on the computer. Same episodes play fine on my MP3 player. It's a Creative Zen Vision M. Not sure if that matters. Can anyone help me before I pull all my hair out? Thank you.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

I like Chipmunks

Did these files ever play OK in WMP 10 or 11 ?

I they did was that before you installed the software for the new camera?

If they didn't it sounds like maybe a codec problem.

3. johnpost

johnpost

it is codecs.

i had the same issue, other playing devices the audio
    was fine and not in wmp. not all programs use
    the same codecs for the same file type. so getting
    a different codec made wmp play it correctly.

find some other codecs for that audio file type.

4. ebonyruffles

Semi newbie here. How do I know what codecs to get & where? They are MP3 podcasts giving me grief. Could it be the podcast itself? It's one called Talk Tech with Jack. He talks about Photoshop & stuff like that. Everything from show 86 forward is "chipmunked." Is that a word? LOL! I'm going to try some of his older shows that I know worked in the past. MP3 music files all seem OK. I will check back tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

5. bonk

bonk Banned

6. ebonyruffles

OK, tried the second link. First one had a page full & wasn't sure what was what. Did the restore point first etc. After installing the codec & trying the files that were giving me trouble, they wouldn't play at all. Not a chipmunk to be heard. My music that workrd before still worked though. So I restored to the pre- codec time. I really don't have enough experience to be messing with codecs. My best bet is to make another one of my players the default. Never had any problems with VLC, so might go with that. Windows media player is a pain in the neck. Thanks everyone, for the advice.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice