1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are DELL printers any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by starchild, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Are they worth getting?

I know, there are expensive printers that are probably better and cheaper ones that are "okay" (I have a Lexmark 5150 All in One now, I bought (new) for $60- with shipping. Because at the time I needed a printer and this was recommended and it was all I could afford)

In the next few weeks, I'm getting a loan, to get another computer and camera. I want to focus more on the camera, and was looking at DELL deals (they have free shipping and now offer 17" flat screen monitor, where last year they offered 15") My son can get DELL at a discount from where he works.

They have printers you can add on to it, I didn't pay close attention when I was looking last night, but saw some were over $100 (to add on with the computer, etc) I have an idea the add ons with DELL (when you customize and add on) cost more than if you bought the same thing separately, elsewhere, but it's also tempting to get something all at the same time (with the discount and free shipping). Seems like a $149 or so printer would be better than a $60 one (LOL)

I noticed it said only DELL cartridges could be used with it, so maybe buying them from DELL after is the only way and they cost more? (I'm used to buying Lexmark ones on ebay, and the last time got GOOD ink ( for Lexmark) and have been refilling them myself. They don't seem any different than the bought ones). Also, if I am going to be printing notecards and such (which is the plan) I could get different, better kinds of ink and refill the printer cartridges myself, and might not be able to get more than just regular DELL cartridges(from them) that can't be refilled?

Just wonder what the pros and cons of Dell (printers) are.

Can I get a much better one for $150 elsewhere? I know... we're told not to refill them, but I've done this with my Lexmark and before that my Canon BJC-250 (which I used for 6 1/2 years). I've been told some (Epson?) have chips in them to keep them from being refilled.

Thanks,
    Carrie

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As far as I know, Dell don't make printers.

They resell other makes with the Dell badge glued on though, so if you post the Dell model number you are looking at we could possibly be able to tell you what brand it really is.

Often they are a Lexmark or a Brother with a Dell badge, which pretty much puts them at the lower end of available quality.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Ohhhh...

That's why I asked, people know EVERYTHING here.

What would be a good inkjet printer to look for in that price range ($150)?

So far I've had a Canon BJC-250 that came with my first printer in 1998 that I used a lot, and it lasted for 6 1/2 years, and the Lexmark 5150 All in One that seems to work okay, though the cartridges are small and run out fast. I now refill them.

I bought the Lexmark after 2 people recommended it (saying it was around $129 on sale, but I got it from someone (new) on Amazon for a lot less. I've heard Epson puts a chip in, unless you buy something to override it, you can't refill them.

My goal right now is to take pictures, edit them on the computer, and print notecards. Maybe business cards, and flyers, too (which I've started doing for people who seem to like them and I enjoy doing it). I'm using MS Publisher 2000 (most of the time)

I know someone who prints and sells angel notecards who says he uses an HP inkjet printer with good results.

Everyone has their own favorites, and pros and cons. I just would like some names/models as a start. Someone who has experience with one knows more about it.

Thanks,
    Carrie

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have always liked HP, I was an IT manager a few years back and the only printers that survived were HP.

However don't ever consider refilled cartridges for HP, if you want the quality of print then you need the original cartridges.

Canon seem popular but my experience of Canon support for their product would mean they are at the bottom of the list. A $4,000 printer needed to be used under a more recent version of Windows, and Canon refused to support a driver upgrade meaning we had to scrap it after a year. Not impressed!

Was back at the place a couple of months ago and the HP's bought 8 years ago are still happily in service....

Unsure re models in the US, we tend to get "AP" ones here (Asia Pacific) which may or may not be the same.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

Hi ...

I have an HP 932c that I use for everything that is not of great importance... pictures included... never quits, never coughs, never fails.

I have an Epson 2200 for photos only... make at least one print a week to keep it clean... stunning prints... unfortunately a few photo friends I have, have caught on and I may be more into the printing business than I want... Working on 6 13x19 as we speak...

I always use the factory ink and paper with the exception of paper from Red River in Florida

costs more ...no hassles

buck

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks, adding these to my list.

I should have said, with the refilled cartridges, I do a lot of practicing now and probably will in the future. If and when I get into printing note cards, I would use the refilled ones for the setting up and trying out and the bought ones for the printing.

As to paper, I've tried several kinds, but living in a rural area I don't have many places to actually buy at (and save shipping). Walmart and Staples over in NH. I've gotten "cardstock" from there, which seems okay and supposedly is FOR CARDS (LOL) But I've also bought some from online that had a slight semi gloss ont one side. Thus, leaving hte inside part unglossy for writing on (the idea of a note card).

I've used notecards myself for a lot of years (and greeting cards) and noticed the shiny paper ones look good with the print, but aren't so good to write on.

Seems I've heard of/seen Red River paper, will look it up.

I'm thinking an ideal might be regular cardstock to print on and then some kind of light spray to put on the picture side (before or after the printing) to give it a little shine. I remember I used to draw and paint and there was a fixer one could buy to spray on after so it wouldn't smudge and give a coating. I wrote about this somewhere else and didn't get much response, maybe people laughed to themselves. Just seems like it would be the answer to coat the card paper (either before or after) to give it a little shine and brightness- more than regular printing.

I think there is also the idea of printing on glossy photopaper and gluing on the card front.

I haven't found much (actually nothing) info about making cards, aside from setting up the sizes, like the program and printer. There are card kits sold ($$$) precut cards. Not what I want. I got some called Park Ave cards- 25cents each (with envelope) with a square scored on the front for the picture to fit in. I couldn't always get the picture exact, and the paper seemed soft, the ink soaked in.

Anyway, I have some printers to look for now.

I have an HP BRIO PC (I got in Spring 2000, new in box ,but never used. Someone had got a deal on them for an office and one person backed out after they came in) I think they are 1999 models. I've been using it and reinstalling WIN 98 (SE) as needed, and putting in programs (put in a CD BURNER drive (first and only time- with much help from this board) and it's just starting to slow down a bit now. Well, act like it's getting kind of old and tired, but I have a lot in it, and even using PS 7, which I don't think is supposed to work (good) with WIN 98. Point is, it seems to be pretty tough. I didn't purposely pick an HP, it was all I could find to buy here when my previous one died.

~ Carrie

7. JPD721

JPD721

I too, also have had great luck with HP printers. In fact, I own four of them, but I just bought a Dell 3000CN and it is great. It is network capable right out of the box and because it is a color laser I don't need to keep replacing expensive ink cartridges. The laser cartridges yield 2000 pages for color and 4000 pages for black. Color cartridges are about $60 and it's about $40 for black if I remember correctly which makes the per page cost very low.

You can check out the PC World reviews for the top 10 color lasers from December here: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,123839,00.asp

I should also point out that I bought my Dell from their outlet which is a section of their website that has refurbed/open-box/scratch-n-dent PCs, printers etc. They had a special when I bought it that offered free shipping and a discount that made my total $179.00 + tax. When it was all said and done it arrived on my doorstep in four days for a grand total of about $185.00. Hard to beat that price for a color laser. I haven't looked at the Dell site lately, but even if the special expired you should still be bale to pick one up for less than $300, or just wait until the sale pops up again.

8. mardapfree

mardapfree

I do have a Dell all in one printer and I have to say I love it! The only downfall is that I have to order the ink from Dell. But it is at my home within 2 business days of ordering. I use mine for my business. I make boutique hair bows and I have to print bow cards, business cards, shipping labels, and invoices all day long. So I use a lot of ink but it lasts and very good quality. Mine was around $150. And the pictures come out fantastic!

Daphne

9. Karaethon

Karaethon

thats because HP is THE printer company, the only way to make a good product is to major in your product, and HP is the only company I know of that has been focused on imaging for as long as they have.

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

Surprised no one asked you what your primary printing tasks are. If its mostly text, then HP is excellent. If it is primarily photo--then Canon and Epson are superior. As far as refilling printer cartridges goes, let the buyer beware.

11. Karaethon

Karaethon

We didnt have to ask, she told us in her posts, she wants to make cards, so she will most likely be doing Images, with some text, on cardstock paper.

12. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I ended up getting a Canon Pixma ip4200, got a lower price (new) from an Amazon seller and it came in 3 days. Before my DELL computer, actually (and that came over 2 days, the computer first the monitor the next)

I'm just putting the printer together now, it has separate ink tanks (which I was told by someone who uses them, and the printhead (replaceable) is separate. Haven't got the driver in yet. It says the directions are based on WIN XP (which I now have and getting used to) and Service Pack 2- which I came here to find out about, I think someone told me to get this in another topic (about WIN XP and new computers)

I'm also getting a Canon camera (powershot G6) which hasn't come yet. Didn't get the Canon printer specifically with this in mind, but I THINK i can connect the camera right to the printer. Though I doubt I'll be doing that, I like using Photoshop, etc and setting them up first.
    One problem I noticed with the Canon printer, and not saying it's just this, but seems to be for me- and might be a bit odd for a problem, when I put it on my computer table, and now setting it up, it seemed like the case (grey, black, sliver) was magnetically attracting stuff! Hairs (I have pets) dust, etc. I'd brush it off and it'd cling to it. I have another printer (black/sliver scase) and the new computer has a black and silver font and the new big, LCD flatscreen monitor. But it was just the Canon Printer. I read somewhere once to wipe something with a dryer fabric softer sheet, to keep static off, so I tried that (lightly) and it seems better. I'd never seen anything like it, I'd wipe or blow the hairs and lint (or whatever is in the air) off it, and it would come right back on.
    I realize this isn't actually a problem with the printer.
    I have yet to try it in printing. I admit I was attracted to the idea of the ink tanks with the separate print head, and not buying cartridges WITH print head on them.
    Of course, time will tell how this works out.
    ~ Carrie

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!