1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are Ebay Auctions rigged

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lighthouse, Jan 29, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. lighthouse

lighthouse Thread Starter

Here's something for any Ebayers to consider...........

Today I was bidding on an Item - in fact I bid on 2 - and both times something odd happened.

On the first one I watched the current Bid which was for about £8.50 - and as soon as I clicked on the Box to enter my Bid the Cost jumped to £13.50. Very strange as they usually go in Increments of 50p.

On the second I watched as the Bids went to about £15.88 - and then - in the last Minute - made a Bid for considerably more. All of a sudden I get the 'Sign in' Page - and have to enter my User Name and Password. Very odd thought I as I had already bid on an Item earlier and been browsing the Site and my 'Watched Items' Page throughout the day. No problem though huh - all I have to do is enter the first Letter of my used Name and everything else appears automatically........as it did. I click on 'Sign in' and instead of going straight to the Auction I am told my user Name or Password is incorrect and I have to re-enter it - as well as a Bunch of Numbers in some verification. Of course, by the time I've done this the Auction has finished and Item sold.

What I want to know is this...............

If I'm not signed into my Account how am I able to bid in an earlier Auction, and access my 'Watched Items' Page - and how come all this Palava happens just as I am bidding on an Item?

2. wowzer

wowzer

How could they not be? This is the computer/internet/scam age after all.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi lighthouse,

Perhaps either you computer or your ebay account has been compromised by a MITM (Man-In-The-Middle) attack?

I would contact ebay administrators and describe to them your experience, and ask them to investigate the incident - it does sound strange.

-- Tom

4. lighthouse

I also keep a Database of dubious Ebay Vendors - the ones with an Agenda - because it's an Abuse of the Site - originally meant for People to buy and sell like they would a Garage or Car Boot Sale.

5. lighthouse

It's happened again - and what is starting to look very suspicious is how it happens with certain Items. This time the 'Sign In' Page wouldn't even load properly!

And now they're advertising the Scourge of Retail - Tesco!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice