1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are laptop/notebook screen connections a standard type?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thecaravanman, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

I cracked the screen on my cheap nonbranded (its branded "ubook", its a GREEN733 model) laptop a few months ago, and the cheapest price I can find is around £130 (thats GBP) or so for a new one. I have been able to use it with a vga monitor but this is not much good as the monitor is rubbish.

I don't mind if the new screen does not fit or anything, I'm happy to use it without it all fitting together, so would I be able to use a screen from another manufacturer. I can get a used screen off ebay for 20-30 GBP I guess and it helps alot if I am not looking for a specific make/model as screens the same as mine seem to be rare.

My screen is a AU Optronics B150XG02

It has a 30 pin connection, so if I buy another with a 30 pin connection is it likely to work?

Matt

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Your laptop is manufactured by ECS: http://www.ecs.com.tw

I would contact them and inquire how to get a replacement monitor from a distrubutor that ships to Wales.

3. thecaravanman

I know who makes it and yes I can obviously contact them for details of a replacement screen. I have done so and remember it being some stupid amount of money.

I have also researched into buying the same screen elsewhere and found it is around £130GPB, this is too much for me, I am a poor student.

Hence, I am trying to find out if I can buy a different, cheaper, used screen to use instead.

So can anyone actually answer my question?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Does it have out ports on it like for a external monitor.

And in answer to your Q not likely at all.

5. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Yes it will work. Will it fit? That's a different question you would have to take the chance on.

6. thecaravanman

Yes it has VGA and S-video.

I'm going to gamble on it working and buy one which also has a 30-pin connection, along with a same screen size.

Fitting I am not worried about, I will prop it up somehow. The laptop stays on the desk anyway.

If it don't work I stick it back on ebay.

7. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Have you tried hooking it up to an external monitor?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the laptop stays on a desk, just pick up an inexpensive external monitor. I suspect you'll be throwing your money away on a screen that will only connect via a connector and cannot be attached to the laptop. Essentially what you've purchased then is an LCD panel without a stand.

9. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I agree with hex. 15 inch LCDs are cheap.

10. thecaravanman

Normal LCD monitors use a DVI input?

Laptop has VGA and S-video, can I get an adapter for either of these to work with DVI?

11. bonk

bonk Banned

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    My LCD Monitor has a VGA input. Some monitors have both VGA and DVI.

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is also the not so small issue of the backlight lamps used in the replacement LCD module. Even if you got lucky with the signal vs. pinout matching on the 30 pin connector and the signal timing requirements were a dead on match, the display may not actually light up or it may light up real bright for a few weeks or months until the CCFL lamps fail.

14. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

most lcds are vga. Either way you can get an adapter very cheaply.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice