1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are Laptops/Notebooks worth getting ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Totallyfree, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Totallyfree

Totallyfree Thread Starter

Hi ... I was at a few different local retail stores and every salesmen i spoke to had said that when buying a notebook or laptop its best to get there extended warranty because they say that most of the time there is always seem to be problems with notebooks/laptops ... After hearing this all it did for me was to discourage me from every buying one ... Now i am curious if thoses sales people are telling the truth about notebooks/laptops and how many people do have problems with there notebooks/laptops ??? Please if you have boughten a new notebook/laptop i would greatly appreciate what kind of experience you have had so far with your ... Thanks

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, I've never "boughten" a laptop, but I have purchased a few! ;)

I have not had any problems with my laptops. In fact, I've had more problems with the desktops, although that's probably due more to conincidence than anything else.

The desicion whether to buy a laptop or desktop should not be based on problems they have, but on your needs. If you are not going to be using this computer anywhere else but your home, then get a desktop because it is cheaper and easier to upgrade/repair. If you will be or would like to use the computer is different locations (such as take it on trips, or to and from work), then a laptop is a better choice, obviously.

Also, what are your plans for this computer? If for example, you plan on capturing and editing video and burn it to DVD, a laptop is a poor choice because the video files are huge. You could quickly fill up a 120 Gigabyte hard drive without even blinking an eye. Most laptops today are 40 Gigs (or less).

Bottom line is tell us what you want to do with this computer and then you can get an intelligent recommendation (unless webfish replies!) :D

PS--moving this to hardware where you will get a lot more response.

3. Totallyfree

Hi .... Its mostly going to be used for internet stuff and travling around with , nothing of great use... I do have 2 desktop computer at home ... One is fairly new the other one is old ... The old one is only used for opening emails and stuff like that ... I am using US robotics ( G ) router

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Get a laptop with wireless internet capabilities (or get a wireless external card) and set up a wireless router in your house and you'll be able to move around freely with the laptop all over the house or even out in the yard and take it elsewhere where you can connect wireless networks.

5. Totallyfree

Hi ... This is what i was doing today shopping around for one with the wireless connection but again i am curious if they have many problems as the sales persons are talking about ... I was more discourage by what they said then anything ... Again this is why i am asking here what kind of experience others are having with there... If anybody has a laptop or notebook please tell me your experience with your ... Thanks

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yep same here! ;)

I have three PC's, and one laptop. The laptop is a old 120 MHz Fujitsu and from the day that I first used it, it has never given me one problem. My PC's... well let's just say that they are always a work in progress :D

I saw a Toshiba today that was the nicest computer that I have EVER seen. I was literally drooling when I was playing with the demo (don't worry, I wiped up the drool before I left :p ). Anyone want to loan me $1700.00 so I can buy it? I promise I'll name my next child after you :eek: :D

Get a laptop, you'll be glad you did ;)

7. shadowcat

shadowcat

I've used my laptop for note taking (when I was in school) to doing work while traveling. No real problems with laptops until I plugged my last one into a faulty plug without a surge protector :( . I've found having a laptop very useful during down times, when I would either play games or surf the internet.

As for buying a laptop at a retail store, my opinion is to never believe a salesperson -- all they want to do is push what ever management told them had to go out the door that day. I know because I used to be in sales. Make a list of what you are going to do most with the computer and start doing some research, like CNET Notebook Reviews, PC World Top Notebooks and PC Magazine Notebook Reviews. It is always bad to walk into a computer store and make a blind purchase because it may not turn out to be the laptop you expected it to be -- especially when you're spending lots of money on it.

I bought my laptop online because I could configure the laptop to my specifications. All of the most popular brands have their own online stores: IBM, Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, Toshiba, etc.

Just my two cents :D

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yeah most of them aren't "educated" about computers. They are more like parrots than anything :D Do your homework before you go to the store, and know what you want before you walk in! ;)

9. Totallyfree

Hi ... Thanks to everyone that posted there thoughts and i am deciding to get one when the right opportunity comes about ... Meaning the right price , right specifications for my needs ... I am thinking of one of these 3 here Acer , IBM or Toshiba ... Right now i really like the Acer model just have to wait and see ... Again thanks to everyone and also if you happen to just be reading this for the first time and have experience with laptops/notebooks i still would like very much to hear about your experience with them ... Right now i am at the waiting stage and the more info i get the better .... Thanks

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

What model number? Maybe I can locate a really good deal on one for you... ;)

11. Totallyfree

Hi Wet Chicken ... I am looking at this one at the moment here Acer TravelMate 252PE XCi ... Just to let you know i am canadian and so far the cheapest i seen it going for is $1,699.00 canadian ... But i might wait until Acer comes out with another promotions on a different notebook because i believe the model above is going out of stock soon ... Thanks for the help :)

12. shadowcat

shadowcat

I’ve used a laptop generally the same way I use a desktop – the only difference is that it generally runs a bit slower than my desktop and that I can carry it with me when I travel – which is hard to do with a desktop ;) I use it for word processing, spreadsheets, surfing the net, checking emails, playing games, etc. The only caveat on games: most laptops will not handle the cutting-edge games very well unless you spend $$$ on the high-end gaming laptops like the Dell XFS, Alienware Area-51m or Voodoo laptops. Keep that in mind when playing games on laptops. I have to lower my graphic settings in Neverwinter Nights on my laptop to make it playable (looks awful, though). Even with these settings, the game occasionally crashes. It plays DVDs just fine.

The only precautions I would take are:

- Make sure your wireless card is WEP enabled.

- keep an eye on the computer when traveling and invest in a notebook lock if you’re in a hotel.

- try not to drop it or bang it around in the carrying case. Nowadays, laptops are mostly plastic and I’ve had a laptop with a mysterious something that was rolling around inside the laptop for about a year because I banged it up a too much on a rolling briefcase. There was nothing wrong with that laptop until it died (because of other reasons). When the laptops were mostly made with metal parts, I actually dropped it and ... the laptop still worked! :D

- invest in a notebook surge protector and always use it. I killed a three-year-old laptop by plugging it into a bad outlet.

- keep in mind what kind of battery life your laptop has. Some laptops are better than others in this area. Read the reviews and take the manufacturer’s battery life claims with a grain of salt. Just remember: if you play games on it, it drains the battery faster than word processing or surfing the net.

- be careful not to spill anything on it. Unlike a keyboard, a laptop is the whole tamale and not as easy to clean/replace.

The caveat to laptops: if something goes bad, it can become very expensive to fix. If you’re under warranty, then you’ve got a shot (read the warranty carefully for what it does cover). I looked into fixing the fried laptop and found out it would cost about $800-$900 for parts and not including labor since it was no longer under warranty and it was not purchased with an extended warranty. I was better off buying a new one.

I hope this helps!

13. slawless

slawless

I have had 4 laptops in my house. one had the DVD rom drive die after 3 years. it was still under warrenty. other than that they have been no problem.

Steve L

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The reason that the sales people are telling you that the laptops are troublesome is to sell you the added insurance, no mystery here. [​IMG] Unless you have a real use for a laptop, desktops are a lot more flexible. I just bought an Averatec laptop for travel. 4 pounds with a DVD/CD-RW drive included. The only thing it didn't have was wireless, but since I had a 802.11g PCMCIA card in the closet, that was a non-issue. :) No, I didn't buy any additional insurance, I spent the $80 on a 512mb SO-DIMM DDR module. :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice