1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are large files safe to delete

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rik, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rik

rik Thread Starter

While working on getting rid of a persistent virus I came across (in Program Files) several programs that take up a HUGE amount of space- HP Select, ArcSoft & Pinnacle Studio. I don't use any of these, don't really know what they're for and don't know how they got on my system except if they are default programs that come already loaded. HP Select seems to have a lot of files that are games that apparently need to be bought then loaded separately as best I can figure. The other two seem to have photo shop applications but I don't do that much photo work and use NikonView as my digital camera is Nikon. Are these that much better or worth holding onto taking up the space? My question is- are they safe to delete? I ask this because when I try to delete one of them I get a message saying "Renaming, moving or deleting could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?" Will removing these programs actually affect others? Any thoughts? One other program file related question. In Windows Explorer under Windows there are numerous files which start out $NtUninstall and are followed by a letter and then a string of numbers ending, again, in $. I first thought this was related to Windows NT and wondered why I would have these when I run Windows XP. Then thought maybe they belong to the Service Packs 1 or 2 that I installed and they belong there. Anyone know? Thanks

2. Moby

Moby

You should remove programmes via add/remove programmes in Control Panel.
    Those programmes wouldn't have loaded themselves so I would assume it is as you suggest, already loaded by manufacturer. If you don't use them then remove them. You usually get a CD of somesort to reload them in the future, or they form part of your 'restore to factory settings' But as I said, it's pointless having programmes you don't use so get rid in 'Add/Remove programmes'.

3. rik

rik Thread Starter

Thanks, but I was more concerned about the message that popped up saying deleting these files may cause problems elsewhere. Do you think there's any cause for concern? Thanks

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What program are you uninstalling using Add/Remove Programs when this message comes up?

5. rik

rik Thread Starter

None of the three programs in question- ArcSoft, HP Select & Pinnacle Studio appear in Add/Remove Programs. I was getting this message when I right clicked on the programs in Windows Explorer>Program Files and then clicked on "Delete."

6. Bill Moore

Bill Moore

Pinnacle Studio is a TV/Video application. The ArcSoft program is probably a Photo/Art package. Both of these programs should have it's own un-install exe file either in the 'Start menu' or in the Add Remove Program list, or in the folder that contains the program files! You should NOT try to remove the actual folders by deleting them!

7. bkpeck

bkpeck

I never use Microsoft Works. It takes up a lot of MBs Can I remove it? And can I remove the following? Microsoft Direct X 9 SDK update (Summer 2004).

8. Bill Moore

Bill Moore

No to Direct X 9. Yes to Microsoft Works!
    Direct X works with your Graphics card and Monitor to enable Games and other graphic intensive programs to work properly!

9. bkpeck

bkpeck

Thank you!

10. opopanax

opopanax

bkpeck, of course, u can remove DirectX. Get this program called DirectX Eradicator. But use it if and only if u r having problems with ur graphics card or any such graphic related issue. Removing DirectX will not affect ur monitor or graphics card performance, as long as the drivers for those devices r ok. Only that u wont be able to play any game that requires high-end graphics.

rik, if u really need to get rid of those programs, delete it using add/remove programs if its listed other. Otherwise the program came with ur system and u just need to delete the particular folder. Ignore that message u get "Renaming, moving....blah blah blah", though it creates quite a scare. There's a better way out. First, archive the folder u want to delete. Then delete the folder. That way, if u find any problems after deleting the program u can simply extract the contents back. If there's no such problems, then u may remove the archived matter too, to save space.

11. rik

rik Thread Starter

opopanex, I'm not sure what you mean when you say to archive the file. Perhaps I know it as another name or process but I don't believe I've ever "archived" anything. What is this process. Thanks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice