1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are latencies important when matching DDR2 memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaaos, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

Hi,

I bought a new custom built Pc and it came with 2x512 Corsair ddr2 chips already in the PC.

I bought a pair of 1gb super talent sticks for my not realizing that the timing for these do not match the corsair timing specs. will this cause my pc to act up? i did get a blue screen error msg that had 0x000000?? (cant remember the last 2) i googled and said it was a ram memory issue.

also does the placement of the memry modules mater into the board? i have 4 slots 2 black and 2 yellow offset.

thaks in advance

here are the mobo and ddr2 specs

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

------------------------------------------------------------
    Manufacturer: SUPER TALENT
    Brand SUPER TALENT
    Model T800UB1GC5
    Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Cas Latency 5
    Timing 5-5-5-15
    Heat Spreader Yes
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------

CORSAIR CM2X512A-6400 XMS2-6400 512MB 5-5-5-12 240 DIMM Black XMS2
    800MHz 5-5-5-12-2T CM2X512A-6400 TWIN2X1024A-6400

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

3. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

i see that the super talons are not on that list. but my pc will recognize them.

my cpu will see all four sticks (3gbs) but when i take out the super talons my pc works better with out freezing. is the timing screwing up the pc?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Could be the timing, or faulty chips. It seems you've narrowed it down to the memory so I;d be returning it, or better yet exchanging it for memory thats on ASUS's QVL list.

5. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

that will teach me to impulse buy on ebay. i guess i can resell them on ebay. first though i will try running with only the super talons alone in there and see if its stable. i'd rather remove the corsair 512 than the talon 1 gb

6. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

yep i got home and the talons and corsairs do not play well together. i left the talons in removed the corsairs and the pc works like champ

any one want to buy a pair of 512 corsairs?...lol

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Just a caution, be careful with ebay. You probably already know that...

But glad to see you got it working...

With newer RAM, especially DDR2 800 (I'm not really sure why), but motherboards can be extremely picky about what they will and won't accept. And not have matched pairs or sets of four in many cases leads to the situation you're in now.

Maybe I'll look for your Corsair on Ebay! :D

8. COCOCOOKIETECH

COCOCOOKIETECH

Whenever you add or replace DDR2 RAM you have to match type and with that comes latency (CL2,CL3,etc.), speed and voltages otherwise...well, you already know what happens...:D Cheers!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549274