Are meta keywords useless nowadays?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GrannyGamer

A colleague just wrote to me and said: "... the meta keywords tag is meaningless these days; only the Yahoo search engine uses it and they aren't likely to for much longer."

Is that true? Are meta keyword tags a waste of time now?

Barbara

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Yes and no. While it's true that almost all of the major search engines have stopped using them (most of them years ago), as long as Yahoo continues to, they are not useless. In addition, if you're using the Google Search Appliance to provide a search of your website, it DOES continue to use the meta keywords. My opinion is that it doesn't hurt to continue to use them, as long as you're using them accurately and thoughtfully and not just putting hundreds of keywords on every page. You may never need them, but if you do end up using something like the Google Search Appliance you won't have to go back and add them to every page on your site. Just my two cents ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts