1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are my windows memory sticks suitable to use with my iMac?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by MumofSandG, Sep 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. MumofSandG

MumofSandG Thread Starter

Just found a few old memory sticks that were used with Windows pc which I no longer have. Changed now to Apple iMac. Will the memory sticks be suitable for using with the iMac, please? I know this is a silly question and I apologise in advance that my questions are always a bit silly.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the description of the PC they came from, and what's the description of the iMac you want to install them in?

P.S. That's not a silly question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

MumofSandG likes this.
  3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I would think so. Have you tried using them on your iMac to see what happens?

MumofSandG likes this.
  4. MumofSandG

Thank you for your reply. My memory(brain thing) is poor, but I think that the previous machine was possibly an HP Pavilion running the software prior to Windows 10. My memory might be more functional but I didn't make a decision to change my pc, therefore no research. My daughter decided that the pc needed changing so she came along with a beautiful new iMac currently using OS Mohave version 10.14.6

I hope that this might help and thank you for reading.
    Angela Davey
    16:21 (0 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to Tech
    [​IMG]

5. MumofSandG

Thank you for your reply. It didn't occur to me to try them, but I will do so this evening. Once again, thank you.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If anything, you may have a window pop up asking to format the drive to what ever apple uses.

MumofSandG likes this.
  7. MumofSandG

Once again, thank you. Starting to sound complex and complicated. I remember formatting things in the dim and distant past, losing everything that mattered. At my age now, 73, feeling 93, I think that I shall discard these things.

Kindest regards

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I wouldn't....formatting is a simple process automated by the OS. All it does is allow the device to be used in the OS environment. I'm just not sure how it works on Apple products.

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I would do a simple Google search, or what ever your search engine is for what ever browser you're using and see what you can find.

10. MumofSandG

You really are very kind taking this time and trouble to help and I will take your advice. I actually enjoy having a go at new things and you have simplified it for me.

Once again thank you. I am in the midst of great turmoil here at the moment, waiting for telephone engineers, speaking with friends and family returning from hols, texting grandchildren etc etc; but will give this stick situation my best attention after I feed the dog.

Best wishes

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You do mean Usb sticks similar to the picture below don't you ?

If so they may work straight away so plug them in and see if they show up on the iMac's Desktop.
    [​IMG]

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you say memory sticks

are you referring to:
    RAM modules
    Capture1.JPG
    or are you referring to:
    USB thumb drives
    Capture2.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice