1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are there any free video trimmers that work with all formats?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by axeman61, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I may or may not have asked this before, on another board here a long time ago. Can't find it, so here goes. If this kind of basic question topic isn't good for this board, please move it, mods.

When I want to put a video on my MP3 player, I have to convert it first because my MP3 player, a Creative Zen Vision: M, is finicky. It has strict rules. My preferred conversion format is to AVI. I may also want to cut parts out of the video, or cut the video into smaller chunks. I typically do this with a combo of Format Factory (converting to AVI) and VirtualDub (cutting the AVI). VirtualDub is great, and I wish there was a version of it that could handle virtually all formats. However, I've never had much reason to look until now.

I've made the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 heir to the throne when the Zen dies out or becomes unplayable. If the manual is any indication, this thing can play a crap-ton of formats, and has apps for things it won't play either way.* I don't have to spend time converting so much stuff anymore (hopefully). However, there's the issue of cutting/trimming. No programs I've run across can do that for formats other than AVI. I know about AVIdemux, but I found it too complex and too productive of sloppy results**. I was wondering if there was another free program out there that lets me cut and trim any video I want.

*I already have a phone, and know about the Samsung Galaxy Phone. Not getting it. Just want a portable media player. Also, I'd buy the SGP 5.0, but that's too big for most of my pockets.

**I was able to trim unwanted video from an MP4, but still needed to convert to AVI for the zen. Format Factory made a hot mess out of the cut down MP4 from AVIDemux.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice