1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are there any Update Packages for SP3?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xxspirit4musicxx, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxspirit4musicxx

xxspirit4musicxx Thread Starter

I am about to install Windows XP SP3, but I realize that Microsoft will not send me non-security hot fixes. Accordingly, is there a way to install an Update Package? Cause I really want to update everything....

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    To get updates once you get windows xp sp 3 installed go to microsoft updates and take it from there. i believe at this time theres something like 103 updates. i dont think it can be done as a package.it tells you which ones are ready to be downloaded and installed and thats all you have to do.and then it will ask you to reboot after they are installed and thats it.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm assuming that you're formatting the hard drive and then doing a clean install of XP SP3.

Have you identified the devices in that computer and obtained the XP drivers for them so you can install the ones that don't get installed by the install of XP SP3?

--------------------------------------------------------

After you install XP SP3 and restart the computer, do as SUEOHIO advised and go to the Windows Updates/Microsoft Updates site.

Instead of clicking the "Express" option, click the "Custom" option.

Doing that will allow you to deselect any high-priority updates that you don't need to install, such as

Malicious Software Removal Tool
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

Make sure to get XP SP3 completely up-to-date and any necessary drivers installed before you start installing a bunch of programs and add-ons in that computer.

4. philip kirkham

philip kirkham

Just as a matter of interest, why not MS maliciuos and net framework 4.0, do they have a detrimental effect?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's no need to install them as part of the post-SP3 updates.

There are some others, such as Windows Media Player 11, that can wait too.

The security updates for XP, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, etc. are the main ones to install.

-------------------------------------------------------

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If they arent installed nothing terrible will happen if thats what you are asking. if you dont have netframework in your computer at all and nothing needs to run with it then its not needed.as far as the malicious software tool i guess its a matter of personal preference. i always install that one but again if you dont want it i dont think anything dire will occur if you dont.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I haven't seen any program or driver yet that requires having Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 installed.

More and more programs and drivers are requiring version 3.5 SP1 or older, so I keep those versions installed in my XP computers.

Vista and 7 already have version 3.5 SP1 integrated in them.

-------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice