1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are There Changes When I Add More RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dumbkid, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumbkid

dumbkid Thread Starter

I went to a store and the guy put in a 128 mb sdram card in it and there are like no changes, so i was wondering wether something is suppose to happen? I have a gateway 98 and ii was going to have a cable modem installed, but i didn't have 64 mb ram and so i went and took this to a store and they installed a 128 mb sdram card in it so i was wondering if it is "working" and if anything changed?

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

What were you expecting to happen? It's not like installing a game or software. It's just there.

Right click on the My Computer icon, and click Properties. Look for a number with the letters RAM after it. That's your amount of memory. If that number is correct, then it's "working".

3. dumbkid

dumbkid Thread Starter

But it didn't change! O.O its still the same, does that mean its not working?

4. brianF

brianF

go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter. On the system info page what is the total amount of installed physical memory, it should be 128meg

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If the amount of RAM is 0, take the computer back to the place that installed the RAM. They should have verified it was installed correctly and recognized before giving the computer back to you.

6. dumbkid

dumbkid Thread Starter

Well when i went to the my computer/control panel/system/propterties it said : Performance 32.0 Ram

7. dumbkid

dumbkid Thread Starter

Which 32.0 mb Ram is how much i had before i had the 128.0 mb chip added so now i got both an it only says 32.0 mb still :mad:

8. bezl

bezl

If you watched the guy put it in...then open up your case and make sure that the RAM is actually all the way in. Sometimes there are little ummm....tab thingees that need to be pushed in order to seat the ram into the socket correctly. My fater in law put his own RAM stick in and didn't seat it properly into the socket. We opened it up and popped it in the rest of the way and it worked fine. Your RAM should have come with a set of instructions...check the pictures in those, cross yer fingers and hope this helps.

9. dumbkid

dumbkid Thread Starter

No Instructions:eek: this guy just put it in properly and the hinges are already seated is it that the card doesn't work with windows 98? or pentium 2 processor?:confused:

10. bezl

bezl

If the RAM is seated properly then my guess would be that you just got a bad RAM stick. Unfortunately it does happen. I'd take it back and have it replaced with a new one. Hope you get this resolved. It really will make a HUGE difference in performance...especially if you use graphics programs or play games.

11. ezymony

ezymony

be careful who you let work on your comp it is easy to get taken advantage you may have an old 32 meg ram stick in it

12. deuce

deuce

Check to make sure the RAM is atually[I/] there then if it is make sure it is properly seated. Take it out and put it back in. If it is there and seated properly then when you start your computer go to your bios (usually del or F10-- press it right after the memory count but before windows loads) and see what it says there for total physical memory. (usually at the bottom)

If there is only the 32 mb stick then you were screwed. I think you can notify local authorities and get the guy busted. That is just wrong. I would say that it is an extremely rare chance there was a mistake (only saying that to give the guy his right to the benefit of the doubt) and if there was a mistake he can clear it with the proper authorities. If it were me I wouldn't just ask for the RAM back. I find it sick that someone would try to take advantage of someone else like that and he needs to be dealt with. :mad: (Through all this don't forget to make sure you got your RAM back) But of course... this is only if you just don't have the 128 mb RAM in your system. There shouldn't have been a mistake because before you got your system back they should have made sure all 160 mb were working properly since they said your computer was working fine when they gave it back. Man... people these days... what will we do? :rolleyes:

13. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Do not contact any authorities over a stick of computer memory. At this point, that would be the absolute worst and fruitless thing to do.

Just take the computer back to where the RAM was installed. It's entirely possible that the RAM was simply not seated correctly. dumbkid, I'm not entirely confident in your assessment that the RAM is properly seated. Have you ever installed RAM before? I think it's highly likely the RAM was either never seated tightly or it was knocked loose during the transport of the computer from the shop to your house. Believe it or not, some people simply make honest mistakes.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice