1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are there video cards that support or can run games in 3840x2160 (4k)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lu Zhun, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Sorry if this is in the wrong category but I have several questions relating to Video Cards, 4k tv's, and 4k videos on YouTube.

Are there video cards that support or can run games in 3840x2160 (4k)? I just upgraded to a 4k TV and am using an HDMI cable for the PC. I noticed my graphics card only goes up to 1920x1080 for resolution settings, so I must be greatly limiting the TV's capabilities?

I was also wondering about these "4k videos" you see on YouTube that can test out the TV. Will I really be able to view it in 4k or will it really only be 1080p because of the graphics card? :confused: What if I bypass the computer and use the smart tv feature to access youtube directly to watch the 4k videos from that, will it really then be in 4k doing that option? :eek:

Under some of the 4k videos on youtube, I noticed the settings only go up to 720p HD, :confused: so I am not sure if youtube is a really good test to view something in 4k to begin with, sigh. Those are just some of the questions I have. :cool: Thank you for answering them in detail and for explaining how some of this works, lol. :D

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I know that the Nvidia 780s support 4K, so would guess that anything newer would too. AMD no idea, but I expect that a visit to their web site would confirm which cards do.

Dont know which card you are currently using, so no idea on that one, but yes, HDMI cable works. I originally used my Displayport, but there were issues, mainly that I could only run at 2/4K at 30hz- this was not an issue with HDMI.

4K you tubes- if your screen is at 1920, thats th emax resolution you will see. The picture is dependent on output res, not the monitor res.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I, like most people, would have to use a search engine to answer that question! Us poor techies don't have the equipment. <grin>

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice