1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are these specs ok?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nob, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nob

Nob Guest Thread Starter

Im looking at a new machine with the following specs. Dont need a high end gamer but want something that will be ok for mid range stuff/games and keep my young teenagers happy.

Its a P4 2.8 800FSB
    Epox 4PGMI i 865ge 800fsb, DDR400, SATA,VGA
    Legend 512mb DDR (PC3200)
    Hitachi 120G 7.2k 7200rpm 8M cache
    ATI Radeon 9200 128MB DDR TV/DVI
    BenQ 17" LCD 16ms

Need reliability.

Is the video card ok?

ta as always :D

2. rugrat

rugrat

Basic specs look ok for what you are wanting. Remember, the biggest bang for your buck on a gaming machine is the video card. However, at current prices, you are selecting a decent mid-range card.

Just an opinion.

SeeYa

3. Nob

Nob Guest Thread Starter

thanks for the info

4. Annorax

Annorax

Looks very decent. My personal opinion, while what you have is fine, if you have the money, get more RAM and a bigger HD. I've seen 200 gigs for $150 or less and 1gig or RAM for cheap too.

5. markblair

markblair

This looks like a good system. I agree that at least adding more hard drive space would help. I just saw a Western Digital 200GB drive for $149.76 through a local store. Other than that, all else looks good. :)

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Basics are grood. You might want to check the LCD out though. They are not necessarily the best bet for gaming. Unless you buy a higher end monitor.

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Hard drive size is fine. LCD monitor is NOT good for gaming(or DVD playback for that matter). The CRTs are still much better. The video card is problematic. Unless you go back to the older ATI 8500, ATI 9000PRo, ATI 9100Pro or the Nvidia TI4200/TI4600 cards, a decent card doesn't start until the ATI 9600Pro or XT and up and the Nvidia 5700 and up. I would invest more in a video card for the future now with the LCD vs CRT monitor price covering the cost difference. Besides, the LCD monitors should be improved in this next year or so and the prices should be more reasonable. They work great for a workstation where you need NO graphics and want little eye fatigue. For normal gaming and DVD playback, they just don't cut it. Like they say, buy a bigger desk. The mobo/cpu/memory thing. We don't care for the EPOX brand and find them to be too "finicky". I suggest you read here:

http://web.epox.com/html/motherboar...3f41Cx4h30h1cx01BM0i0o3x2l11c4x3e2O3O2r3ro2c3

and make sure you use compatible components as suggested. For best overall performance with Intel cpus, it is best to match cpu bus speed with memory speed. Of course the mobo MUST be able to run the bus speeds specified by the other components. Is this system already assembled? What OS are you going to use?

Video card comparisons(the first 2 are 3DMark2001SE and the 3rd is UT2003):

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-05.html

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-05.html

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

8. zeddy

zeddy

i am with Stillearnin' in terms of the video card, spend a little more and get a 9600pro or 9600xt card from ATI.

9. DragonByte

DragonByte

I agree with Zeddy agreeing with Stillearnin im getting the Radeon 9600 Pro on my new one...whenever i get it

10. bookime wood

bookime wood

Howdy

I have the sapphire ati radeon 9200 vivo, I am very happy with it. Like yourself I am not a big gamer, playing enter the matrix on it was perfectly clear to me, I would never spend 200-300 pounds on a graphics card.

I would not touch that epox board, buy a good board you will not regret it. My only contribution to THE DARK SIDE (intel) is my p3 celeron, so my both my boards are AMD socket A, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) ---------DFI NFII Ultra Infinity (Socket A)-----Running barton xp 2800----barton xp 2500, respectively, both are superb boards, but if I had to choose it would be the ASUS, outstanding board. I have heard great things about the canterwood board for the P4-----Asus P4C800 "Canterwood" OR Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood"

Hitachi is IBM, hitachi bought the hd division from IBM, after IBM had major probs with there HD, read on some boards that they are ok now. But hd are not what they used to be, so it is your luck. Speaking from a personal view point, my recent purchases have been as follows, samsung 80gb 7200rpm, western digital caviar 40 gb 8mb 7200 rpm, and segate barracuda 40 gb 7200rpm. The samsung is a dog, a noisey contraption, the wd is fast and quiet, but I am absoloutely delighted with my segate fast, quiet, and imo better than the wd.

Ram I am running 1.5 gb of twin moss, works fine for me, other ram is so expensive, try that or crucial, dont buy any generic stuff, especially the guff from ebuyer, in fact don't buy anything from ebuyer, they are cr+p.

Monitor's, well that lcd is very expensive, I would buy a normal CRT, and wait till the TFT come down in price.

hope it helps

cheers

bookime

11. markblair

markblair

Just thought I'd mention something regarding the LCD. Even though I haven't heard much about the brand BenQ, I have a ViewSonic 19" LCD and it is excellent. The quality is unbelievable and it runs just fine with any game I've tried thus far. I replaced a MAG Innovision 19" CRT with this one and couldn't be happier. I believe that LCD's have improved and with some, they run just fine in any environment. :)

12. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

why on earth do you need a 200 gb hard drive. That can stor years of knowledge. a 120 is great. if your kids use the computer for gaming, go with the crrt, if you use it for work related stuff, the LCD may be better. If you can, upgrade the graphics card however. Most will agree with still learnin on that matter.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/199617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice