1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are these Window files necessary?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iluvtolaff, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iluvtolaff

iluvtolaff Thread Starter

2. MikeSwim07

MikeSwim07

Yes, those files are neccessary. Please don't delete them

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

You can thank Microsoft and Automatic Updates for those.

he he. When I looked at your screenshot I tried to scroll down to see more. You'll be surprised to hear that it didn't work. Dope!

4. nimd4

nimd4

Hahah >_<

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

These files refer to 'hotfixes' and security patches that Windows has installed in the past via Windows Update. These folder simply contain the backed up old files that were replaced during the installation of the hotfixes in case you ever wanted to uninstall them if they were causing problems. In short, these files are legitimate and part of Windows. Like I was going to say I usually back then up to a CD-R disk and then delete them to make more room on the drive. If you feel you need to use them you can always copy them back to the same spot.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. iluvtolaff

Thank you all for your replies. If it's better to just leave them, is it safe to make a new folder and drag them there? It's a pain scrolling past all those to get to what I want to in the Windows folder.

Dr. Chauncey---that is funny!! But, in all truth, I've done the same myself! ;)

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Yes you can make a new folder and then move them there it will not remove them from your computer but they will not be in the way no more until you get more windows updates and then you just move them there with these also.

9. iluvtolaff

Thanks! I'll get right on that!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice