Are Two Passwords Really a Good Practice?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kolias

Nicolas
For years now I use two different passwords in my laptops, one is at boot time (which is set inside the BIOS and is also needed to edit the boot menu) and the other to access the Desktop (Windows 10) which is also my MS Account password.

I was told the other day that the second password to access the Desktop is not really needed and I wonder if this is true.

When the laptop goes to sleep now (after 10 minutes or when I close the lid), I have to type the second password to access my laptop so if I was to remove the second password anyone can access my Windows files.

I’m aware of various utilities available which store many passwords but I have no interest on them.

So what is your opinion on this subject?

blues_harp28

The bios password is an added security protection.
However, you are answering your own question here
When the laptop goes to sleep now (after 10 minutes or when I close the lid), I have to type the second password to access my laptop so if I was to remove the second password anyone can access my Windows files.
Without this password all of your data and files are open to anyone sitting in front of your laptop.

Couriant

James

I’m aware of various utilities available which store many passwords but I have no interest on them.

So what is your opinion on this subject?
To add to this, these utilities are more for websites, not for the BIOS/Windows login. These would be more for those who have many website passwords to remember. They can also create randomized passwords so you don't have to create them and they will autopopulate. And as always, if the website has 2 factor authentication, use it for that extra layer of protection.

As an IT person I have accounts at a lot of places, even internally. I do use LastPass and works well. But that's up to you to use.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is another component to this if you want to fully secure your laptop. While having the BIOS and OS passwords configured is good, the final piece you need is to encrypt your hard drive. In security, the main issue is physical access to a particular device. With a laptop, that's going to be fairly easy as you're apt to be taking it around with you. It also facilitates easy physical removal from any premise to hack into later.

So back to encrypting the hard drive. Even though you have a password set to login to the OS, this will not protect the data on your hard drive. All one needs to do is to remove the hard drive from your laptop and connect it into a system the thief/hacker has full access on. The drive will be seen by their system as another valid drive which will provide the thief/hacker FULL access to all your data. Encrypting your hard drive eliminates this situation. The later versions of Windows has Bitlocker as a built in encrypting feature but it is not active by default. The other alternative is to not store any sensitive data on your laptop's local hard drive. None of my laptops have any sensitive data on them. All of that gets stored on a USB thumb drive or on my NAS/fileserver on my home network.

Kolias

Nicolas
There is another component to this if you want to fully secure your laptop. While having the BIOS and OS passwords configured is good, the final piece you need is to encrypt your hard drive. In security, the main issue is physical access to a particular device. With a laptop, that's going to be fairly easy as you're apt to be taking it around with you. It also facilitates easy physical removal from any premise to hack into later...........
Very good point here and I was thinking about it however I'm retired and the laptop always stay at home but in any case I'm at the point to encrypt the SSD, perhaps during the holidays. Thank you

Couriant

James
Very good point here and I was thinking about it however I'm retired and the laptop always stay at home but in any case I'm at the point to encrypt the SSD, perhaps during the holidays. Thank you
Depending on your version of Windows, you may have BitLocker enabled on your machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online