1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are you a Christian?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Flrman1, Feb 2, 2003.

?

Are you a Christian?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2003.
  1. I am a Christian

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. I am not a Christian

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Don't want to be

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
Advertisement
  1. Flrman1

Flrman1 Thread Starter

Are you a Christian? If so how did you become a Christian? What is your definition of "A Christian"

If not, Why?

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    "In the blue corner: Mulder! In the red corner: Valley!"

You really are setting up another fight, aren't you?;) :D

But seriously: Believe in a "God" in "heaven"? No. But my background cultures and traditions are "Christian" as far as morals go. and No: Christians din't invent morals. It was the other way around.

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Woo Hoo! I was the first to vote?

Wow I'm not usually first.....

Chritian..... Well it means to be "Christ Like" so.....

Now I'm not say'in I'm Jesus, but His spirit (The Holy Spirit) resides in me..... :D

4. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

LOL Jim ... you forgot the *DING!* ... :D

Mark ... Yes, I'm a Christian, in an unchristian world. Do I live as a prude? No I don't. Do I try and treat people right? Yes, I do. For me, "LOVE" is the basis of Christianity, not rules and regulations set forth by a bunch of different religions. In all reality, I'm human... I've felt at times that God has forsaken me, but the Valley girl sets me straight on that issue. Do I need to don my boxing gloves for this thread? Yes, I do. :) Val... hereeeeee we go again!

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

OK, I'll go along with this so long as the competition is mud wrestling!!!

:D :D :D

6. jakoval

jakoval

Depends on your definition - probably not.

Am I a moral person? Yes.

Am I an ethical person? Definitely.

Am I a religious individual? Not at all.

In other words, although I live my life by what are commonly described as Christian principles, I don't believe in the mythology.

I don't find it necessary to believe in a higher power in order to do what is right, or to treat people as I would hope to be treated.

7. sweets1981

sweets1981

:D Amen to that!
    Very well put!

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

Oooooh!!! And I thought this was going to be a religious thread!!! ;)

9. maxximilian

maxximilian Guest

Am I a christian?

Hmmmm...........

Based on what I have read in recent threads...it would appear that I am decidely not. And also based on what I have read in recent threads...damn glad I am not.

Gonna have to get down to the store and see if they have any gods on sale this week. I gotta get me one. Hate those rebates, though.... ;)

10. valley

valley

Yes, I am a Christian. But so is every Tom Dick and Harry these days, eh? ;) Ya need to boil it down further for my taste, since there are so many people in the world who call themselves Christian yet want nothing to do with the gospel of Christ..which christianity happens to be based on.

But first.......Can a person have morals and ethics outside of Christianity? Absolutely! I believe that God pours out something called "common grace" on all mankind. Things like morals, ethics, the ability to know right from wrong, love, compassion, mercy, generosity......all these things are placed in our hearts and minds by God's grace, whether we are Christians or not. I look in the good I see in all people and I thank God for putting it there, regardless of whether the person gives God credit for it.

I feel bad when people rush forward to say that they arent a christian but they are a good person anyways.....being "good" has nothing to do with salvation. I know many unsaved people who are nicer than alot of christians I know! Salvation is all of grace and not of works. I try to follow the word of God because it is my way of bringing honor and glory to God. I know of other christians who are not "into" bible study as much as me, who honor God in a different way, be it through prayer, encouraging people, helping others etc...I really wish people wouldnt view us as thinking we are somehow better than others. If anything...christians have a better understand of how bad we really are.

But the issue is....what is a Christian?

A christian is someone who has given their life over to the Lord. It is a lifelong commitment, a change of affections, a change of heart...the old person is left behind and a new direction in life is taken. Christianity is not about the good feeling it gives you about yourself. It is a working faith.

Salvation is a gift from God but it comes with a price. Jesus said "whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple" Christians must be willing to forsake sinful habits as the Holy Spirit makes us aware of them. Even if we struggle and have a hard time doing what we know is right, we are to continue on...striving for the goal no matter how many times we stumble. Many people have set out on the road of salvation, following for a short while, professing to be saved, appearing to be saved....then when trouble comes and they are dealt a blow by satan, they leave the faith. They begin to realize that being a christian isnt worth the trouble that comes with it. Its not worth getting laughed at and scorned by people. Its not worth being a social outcast at your company picnic, its not worth standing up and looking like a fool when you quote scripture to those who do not believe, its not worth missing out on all the fun you used to have.

I think the Lord is worth all of that trouble. The word of God is something worth fighting for to me. It is the Holy word of God and nothing to be trifled with.

We are to be Christ-like. We are to follow His ways, mirroring to the world what a follower of Christ is. And if somewhere along the line, we take that to mean that we are better than others for our zealous love for Him, then shame on us! God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. A proud Christian is offensive to God.

ok....I took forever to write this. I wasnt sure how much to say and not say and I tried to be as careful as I could not to offend anyone. About all I can do is tell you all how I see it, and know that most of you will not be angry with me, even though you might strongly disagree with my opinions.

and Mulder......bring on the mud...maybe you can give me a few pointers about how to go about slinging it? :D :p

11. plschwartz

plschwartz

If I Go to chuch on Sunday,
    then caberet on Monday
    ain't nobody's business if I do.
    Lady Day

What an insulting question--- what do you mean why not?
    Are you a heathen.....
    If not, Why?

12. valley

valley

Paul....I do not believe in was Mark's intention to insult anyone here. He was only trying to open some dialogue regarding something that obviously interest him. If you dont like the question "why not?" then you are free to ignore it, like the others who are not interested in sharing their opinions.

13. valley

valley

*valley steps up to Mulder and tweaks him in the nose*

(Kath....I can take him...lol)

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

Actually, I think he was trying to insult Paul only--looks like it worked! ;)

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Oh--you're getting good valley. You've gone from innocent and naive bible thumper to jaded Mulder basher! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice