1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Are You Guilty?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by clskrk, Sep 17, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. clskrk

clskrk Thread Starter

Thought some of you might find this interesting! :D :D

Forget Work, IM Is for Scheming, Flirting, Gossip
    Mon Sep 15, 1:17 PM ET Add Technology - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Bernhard Warner, European Internet Correspondent

LONDON (Reuters) - Flirting with colleagues, scheming against the boss and gossiping about co-workers are among the most common Instant Messenger, or IM, missives circulating around the office, according to a new survey on Monday.

Missed Tech Tuesday?
    Get wireless Internet to go - here's how. Plus, the scoop on service plans, security and more.

So-called "IMing" -- the act of sending quick message exchanges to other Internet users -- has become a popular workplace pastime.

Just as they did with e-mail a few years ago, corporations have now embraced IM technology as it enables co-workers in large organizations to converse quickly and cheaply. But IM's popularity has its drawbacks, experts say.

Because many users believe it cannot be monitored by the boss, many freely fire off messages ranging from cruel cracks about a colleague's hair to sensitive information about major corporate projects.

"Businesses don't really monitor IMing," said Nigel Hawthorn, European marketing director for Blue Coat Systems, a Web security firm that conducted the survey of over 300 firms in the United States and Britain, the world's two largest IM markets.

"If you're leaning forward and typing away at your machine, who's to know what you're typing about," he added.

The preponderance of personal chatter leaves companies open to sensitive corporate leaks and even lawsuits, Hawthorn said.

In the UK, 65 percent of the 204 respondents said they use IM for personal purposes during work hours, the survey said.

Half the UK respondents admitted to peppering their IMs with abusive language; 40 percent used IM to conspire on colleagues during conference calls and nearly one-third confessed to "making sexual advances" in the easily disguised dialogue box.

U.S. respondents, meanwhile, gave more tame accounts of their IM usage. For example, less than one in five American survey participants said they used IM to comment on senior management or to flirt.

One explanation for the disparity is the Big Brother notion. Nearly 60 percent of British respondents did not believe or were unsure whether their IM conversations could be monitored by their employer while 71 percent of US respondents believed -- correctly -- that IM messages could be traced.

2. clskrk

clskrk Thread Starter

I posted this last night to see the responses from some of you.
    (You know who you are:))

3. lora_3677

lora_3677

I don't flirt with coworkers.... or scheme against anyone.... I pick people further away... LOL!!!

4. clskrk

clskrk Thread Starter

I'm not going to touch that one :D lmao

5. lora_3677

lora_3677

well... flirting with coworkers can lead to dismissal... i need my job... so i choose people that i don't work with to flirt with.. i know i'm a flirt... or can be under the right circumstances... and sometimes i flirt and don't even realize it.. and other time i know.. lol.
    one of my good friends and i have came to the conclusion that we both flirt unconsciously.. it's just part of who we are. lol.

6. clskrk

clskrk Thread Starter

I guess with some people it's just in their nature. I... I mean they can't help it :D

7. lora_3677

lora_3677

8. Baby-Bug

Baby-Bug

Ok, I HAVE to get my boss to insist on an IM service as mandatory...see there ARE perks being the General Managers PA ;)

9. KeithKman

KeithKman

Well this kinda has nothing to do with this topic, but my teachers at school say AIM your friends if you need help with the homework rather than saying call your friends.

Kinda found this funny.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice