Are You Reluctant To Upgrade To SP2 - Read Here

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
And there's really not a lot of good reasons not to at this point. :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've personally never found a valid reason not to.

I had a program that wouldn't work with the SP2 upgrade, but it was just a matter of waiting until the vendor released a fix for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bearone2

Banned
well i certainly have found a reason, sp1.

if these sp's are so great, how come there's so many.

toyota produces/produced great vehicles, read bout 'em in consumer reports.
from time to time something comes up and a recall is issued but not like uncle bill.

he puts out pretty buggy stuff until xp but then needed sp1, sp1a and now sp2 and now in this link tells you "ya gotta have it".

if sp2 is such a great whuptydo, why do so many folks post here will nothing but problems with it with programs not working, connecting to internet, bsd, etc.:cool:

. . . "if sp2 is such a great whuptydo, why do so many folks post here will nothing but problems with it with programs not working, connecting to internet, bsd, etc" . .

I have noticed that if you follow those posts to conclusion, 99% turn out to be caused by Spyware . . Trojans . . or Junkware . .

Those are all good reasons to upgrade, but my #1 reason is that SP2 is performance . . SP2 is noticably "perkier" than SP1 . . SP1 seemed to slow systems down when it was first installed . . SP2 seems to have corrected that.

If you bought XP today, it would include the SP2 update. .

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
bearone2

And, you usually only see posts about problems, not all the millions of us who do have Service Packs installed. We see tons of the posts due to the malware users get by not having installed patches and updates....it's your computer though! We aren't forcing anyone, just advising, so there is no need to post negatively where we are trying to help the vast majority of people who are not computer whizzes...to alert them to the danger of not patching the system.

Microsoft releases operating systems, but doesn't hack them all apart before they release them> geniuses and malicious ones more often than not can and will hack EVERY operating system, given enough time. By it's nature, computer code can be figured out just like any secret code. I'd hate to think what an operating system would cost if we had to wait until every little flaw was fixed, and it sure would be a long time coming!

bearone2

Banned
i appreciate both comments.

i had to replace the hd on the 1g/amd rig and it had xp on it from 3 1/2 years ago, no updates.
it was never a problem child and only xp went back on.

i doubt very seriously if many people here have their original install of xp + any sp's and it goes back 3 1/2 years. most folks won't have a compter that long much less the original os.

i'm aware that if you buy xp nowdays it comes with sp2, maybe that's a better way than adding the sp1/1a, sp2 update but i'm not willing to buy it to test it.

2k went thru the same sp's, 1, 2, 3 and now sp4 wraps it all up and is bullet proof.
2k is certainly picky with hardware and takes forever to load but i still like it and have it on the laptops.:cool: .

I seem to have a problem installing the update. I don't know what it is but it somehow has to terminate a portion way through. I've not tried in a while but if I remember rightly it had something to do with a registry key value or similar.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
BearOne:

I recall you mentioning some time ago that you don't like installing Windows updates of any kind and prefer to do a format/reinstall 1 - 2 times a year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bearone2

Banned
that is correct.

if too many fatal exception, does the registry check quite often, goofy shutdowns but not 1-2x a year, only if the above is occuring and only on 98se.

i'm gettting the goofy stuff on the se rig so it's time to reload.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I was just looking at your signature. You have SIX computers?

bearone2

Banned
yes, not all on at the same time but run thru the linksys hardwired router/4 port.

from the router:

1 is my son's xphome/sp2.
2 mine xp, xp/sp1a
1 leg to run the wap for the 2 wireless laptops, not at the same time.

the se machine/nic, is so i can walk my daughter thru problems on her machine.

I personally had to download SP2, although I only downloaded and installed it a couple months ago. SP2 seems to have fixed my daily-occurring BSODs that started happening all of a sudden.

bearone2

Banned
i know there's a lot of reason's to do it but other than the hd dying, xp, xp/sp1a 2 years ago, have been trouble free.

(y) For what its worth, I updated to SP2 whan it was first released and kept current with all updates, thus far I have been trouble free. (y) :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online