1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Argh! Laptop is determined to not work with my ipod!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nickyboy29, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickyboy29

nickyboy29 Thread Starter

So I have been using iTunes for years (hate it with a passion though). Few weeks back this laptop had a bad case of malware/viruses. Eventually got rid of all that, now the laptop refuses to allow any method of fixing my iPod problem. Which goes a little like this...

The iPod won't show in My Computer...until I disconnect it and then the iPod symbol appears as a drive for about a second. I have tried every method on the Apple website, but it always leads to a dead end because when I get a screen with a progress bar updating driver etc, the progress bar just goes on forever, until I unplug the ipod! Then obviously the device disappears from Device Manager so I can't change the bloody driver!

The iPod appears as a USB mass storage device, and also sometimes as a Portable Device.

It's not an issue with iTunes, it's definitely a Vista driver/file issue somewhere.

Any ideas? I'll happily supply an extra info.

What is infuruiating is how the iPod appears in device manager but won't let me change the Microsoft driver to an Apple one (as this would certainly fix the issue).

I think the problem is changing the iPod from a USB Mass Storage Device to what it actually is, an Apple Ipod.

Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This part of your comments says a lot.

If the infection was that bad, it's probably damaged the operating system.

You might want to consider a repair or reinstall of Vista.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. nickyboy29

nickyboy29 Thread Starter

Yeah that is my last option though as the laptop came with Vista preinstalled so I would have to buy a full copy?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Open the COMPUTER main window, then look at the drive letters and drive names.

If your computer is a known factory brand one and not a custom made one, it may have a built-in recovery partition so you can revert it back to its original factory condition.

Computer manufacturers stopped providing recovery disc kits years ago to cut costs.

------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice