1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Argh! My Internet has become so slow!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Avatar77, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar77

Hey all - So my main system is an old but reliable home built P4 3.0 ghz running WinXP Home, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, connected to a Comcast cable modem (connected via ethernet cable through a linksys router). While fairly old, my system works fine for basic Internet usage and has been humming along until about a week ago when it inexplicably became very slow to load Internet pages. Whatever browser I've tried (Firefox, Chrome, IE8, Opera), it takes a good 30 seconds-1 minute for a page to load that just last week would have loaded in a couple of seconds. I haven't installed any new apps or made any other configuration changes.

My Internet connection doesn't seem to be the culprit as it's fast as ever on my laptop, and I have done virus scans (using AVG8, which is installed on my system as well as trendmicro's housecall), adware scans, run registry cleaners, defragged my HD, tried the ipconfig /flushdns then /renew trick, etc and nothing has worked. I tried disabling my firewall (Comodo Pro 3) and it made no difference. Any suggestions? I am pretty close to spending Saturday reformatting and reinstalling! Thanks.

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

It might be the computer itself or the services running on the computer are using most of the virtual memory.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice