1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Argh!! Please help can't install Creative graphics card!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doh_lady, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doh_lady

doh_lady Thread Starter

Hi! :)

Please, please could someone who is computer literate help me, I am so lost :( ! Today my friend asked me to install a Creative geforce2 mx (400 I think) into her computer ( a pentium 3, windows 98SE 500MHZ 128RAM etc) she is currently running a Intel graphics chip 810 (?)

Basically when I install the card into a PCI slot (its def not AGP) the monitor wont turn on and the computer 'beeps' at me (I think its about 3 beeps). I think it is inserted correctly as I have taken it outand put it back in about a million times into the three available pci slots)

Could someone please tell me how to get the card to work and do I need to remove the the previous drivers from the built in Intel card (I am v.v.v. scared to do this as I am worried that if I delete the drivers and the new card won't work then there is no way to see anything and I have totally messed her computer up! :eek: )

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Katharine

2. zeddy

zeddy

In the bios have you set the PCI card as the primary adaptor for boot up?

3. doh_lady

doh_lady Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for the speedy reply! I haven't touched anything in the BIOS - is it that very daunting blue screen? please could you explain how I set the card as the priimary adapter?

Thanks in advance!
    Katharine

4. zeddy

zeddy

In the bios advanced chipset screeans there will be an option that says Primary display adaptor and you can choose PCI or AGP, it wont harm your syatem to try changing it, if it doesnt boot you just go back into the bios and change it back.

If this doesnt work disable the onboard card either by a jumper on the board or within the bios if there is an option there.

5. doh_lady

doh_lady Thread Starter

Hey,

In my friends BIOS there doesn't seem to be an option to change the primary adapter (she is using AMIBIOS if this makes any difference) there is a pci/pnp menu but this only gives you the option to change the IRQ to ISA?

6. doh_lady

doh_lady Thread Starter

Version of the Bios is 1.23

7. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    In my AMI BIOS set up under PNP/PCI Configuration, there is a line that reads "VGA Boot From". I highlight that line, then press Page Up or Page Down to change from VGA to PCI. Check to see if that shows in your BIOS. Don't forget to save changes if needed.

8. doh_lady

doh_lady Thread Starter

Hey,

Nope still no luck I dont seem to have 'VGA Boot From' Here is a list of what the computer has in the BIOS

1)Standard CMOS Setup: date, time, floppy 1&2, primary master, Primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave

2)Advanced CMOS Setup: quick boot, first/second and third boot device, S.M.A.R.T, bootup num lock, PS2 mouse, Passwordcheck, Boot to 0S/2 >64, CPU serial number, System BIOS cacheable, C000, 64K shadow, D000, 64K shadow

3)Advanced Chipset setup - Usb function, USB kyboard, Memory hole

4)Power Management SET

5)PCI/Plug and play setup: plug and play aware, clear NVRAM, IRQ 3 -15 (all arePCI/PNP but can be changed to ISA)

6)Auto detect hard disks

7)Change User Password

8)Change supervisor password

9)Auto configure with optimal settings

That all the option I have to choose from, when the computer is loading it states that the onboard VGA is using IRQ 9 - I tried to change this to ISA to see if anything works but nope nothing!

9. zeddy

zeddy

On the motherboard look for jumpers, if they are there:

Find the one labelled INT_EN if its there it will likely have 3 pins. Move the jumper cap over the one currently uncovered and the one next to it (i.e. if its covering pins 2-3, move it to cover pins 1-2), that will take the IRQ interrupt away from the onboard video.

Now find the one labelled VGAEN, proceed as above, that will disable the onboard video.

10. doh_lady

doh_lady Thread Starter

Hi,

I had a look at the motherboard but because it is built by Tiny everything is coded with 'J'. The Intel website recommends removing the previous carsd drivers- If I was to do this would the monitor simply go blank and if the new card does not work then would I not be able to see anything and have basically lost everything?

11. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I believe that you should be ok removing the old video drivers. The Pentium III is a bit old but I think that removing the old drivers, rebooting and letting the new card be found will work. I would first ensure that the old drivers and the new drivers are both available. Then I would go to control panel, device manager and remove the old drivers. Shut down the computer (install the PCI Video card if necessary) and then reboot. The computer should boot back up using default VGA settings. It should, if Plug and Play works ok, find the new card and either install the software or more likely ask if you have the software to install. It sometimes take 2-5 minutes for the computer to cycle thru and find the new device. Windows XP has much better PNP and it has been a couple of years since I have used Windows 98(SE).

12. zeddy

zeddy

Follow the previous posters advice

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice