1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ARGH! Reboot in Safe - now I can't lot in - pwd won't work -

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by icemaiden, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

OK, I'm in a panic. Norton detected a virus and recommended I restart in safe mode and scan again. The way they told me to reboot in safe mode - I should have NOT done this -was to go to start/run/msconfig and change my configuration to restart in safemode. Well NOW I can't log in at all! My pwd doesn't seem to work and I've tried all the previous ones I can remember. I can't restart in regular mode because I changed the settings in msconfig.

HELP!!!!! Any way to get in? I am soooo in a panic...

LT

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Never CHANGE the settings in MSCONFIG.

This may help:

1. Boot your computer or Restart if already on.
    2. After you hear the POST "beep" wildly tap the F8 key.
    3. Select Start Windows Normally with the [UP] and [DOWN] arrow keys. Press [ENTER] to select.

PS: Remove your email address. Spammers look and target forums for email addresses.

3. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

Since I configured msconfig to start in safe mode using the F8 and trying to start normally doesn't work. :-( I am at a total loss...

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

What happens when you press F8?

Anyway try this:

Boot into safe mode.
    If you are confronted by the welcome screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice.
    You are now confronted with Windows Classic Logon Prompt.
    Type administrator in the user box
    Leave the password field blank
    hit enter.

5. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

No, that didn't work (typing in administrator and hitting enter with the pwd blank).

F8 gives me all sorts of options to boot in, but in trying all of them, I still get safe mode and unable to log in.

Windows XP in case I didn't post that before. No Floppy drive.

Also, Thx for the tip on the email.

6. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

No prob about the email. And you got a message like incorrect password when typing in Administrator and leaving password blank? Or nothing happened at all? Have you tried not typing any password with your username to log in?

7. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

Getting the incorrect password error - trying with either the administrator or my username after trying to login without entering pwd.

8. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Slave the drive to another computer. Open the boot.ini file in notepad from the slaved drive. The location would be: <slaved drive>:\boot.ini.
    The file is called BOOT. Icon looks like a notepad with a cog on it.

You need to show hidden files and folders and protected operating system files in folder options. When inside the boot.ini file remove this: "/safeboot. Save the file as boot.ini and exit. Dont forget to make backup first!

To show hidden os files:

1. open my comp
    2. Click tools, folder ops
    3. Click Show hidden files 'n folders.
    4. Uncheck hide protected os files. Click Yes. Click apply, and OK.

9. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

Thanks for trying to help, Blink, but slaving a HD is beyond my capabilities...don't know what you are talking about. :-( I really do appreciate your time though.

10. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

How to Slave a Drive

Jumpers on hard drives, for the uninitiated, are usually tiny little sliders (often black) that slip over two wire prongy things to connect them. They can usually be found on the back or side of a hard-drive casing.

Depending which prongy pair you slide a jumper over often determines how a piece of hardware is configured. When you install two drives, you have to set one as a master drive and the other as a slave. The computer looks for the operating system on the master drive and uses the slave as a secondary drive that behaves as storage.

All IDE hard drives I have encountered have them. IDE, by the way, is Integrated Drive Electronics. Enhanced IDE or EIDE drives are the most common type of hard drive you'll encounter. SCSI, which is pronounced "scuzzy," is the other kind. That's "Small Computer System Interface."

On to the problem: While we're on the topic of acronyms, here's a breakdown of what you see on your Quantum drive jumpers. DS means "drive select" and is used to set the drive as master. SP means "slave present" and sets the drive to slave. It is used when another drive is set to DS. CS is "cable select." CS is only used in systems that support the cable select feature. Cable Select allows for each IDE disk drive to be jumped the same. Their position on the cable determines the drive ID. This requires a special cable and both drives on the interface would have to support this feature to use it. Despite all this fascinating acronym-busting, these typical instructions for Quantum drives don't apply to your problem. When you're configuring a Quantum ELS drive, skip the SP jumper altogether on the slave.

Set the master drive jumper to DS and leave the jumpers completely off the slave drive.

11. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

This, is the only possible way to do it. Or you could format :)

12. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Actually have you tried the Windows XP recovery console?

13. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

Format is NOT an option....I can't lose everything. :) No, haven't tried the recovery console. I probably need to send the damn thing out to get fixed. I KNEW I should have just booted to safe mode the way I usually would and not use msconfig....I hate norton.

14. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

You know what?

1. I hate norton too
    2. I was joke when says format

Will you give slave ago?

15. icemaiden

icemaiden Thread Starter

I will try to open it up and see what's what....I did email norton and ***** to them about their "recommendations". Probably they will ignore me. I was hoping for an easier solution. If I do open and do the slave, I will probably reply back for more assistance...I would need more of a walk-through with that....

Thanks, Blink!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!