1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Argh Screensaver Not Working!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by delchrys, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delchrys

delchrys Thread Starter

sorry for the caps, this one is blowing my mind.

i run xp pro on an AMD athalon 3700+, 1GB ram, three hard drives--2 160BG in a RAID configuration and 1 160 BG as a separate drive. Good graphics card (256, don't recall the model, but it was about $100 (USD) a few months ago and is by NVidea).

Two accounts on my PC--admin and friend with limited access. Friend account, screen saver works 100% normally. Logon screen, screensaver works 100% normally. Admin account (the one I use)--screensaver doesn't work at all. when i go to the desktop properties menu, the mini-preview of the screensaver runs just fine on the monitor image in the menu, and when i select "preview" it runs as it should. I made a desktop shortcut pointing to the screensaver executable and double-clicking that initializes the screensaver, though when you move the mouse or keyboard it snaps back to the desktop without prompting for a password (which is why i want the thing in the first place). I also made a shortcut to lock the workstation, which works fine.

i have looked all through Google to find anything on this, but I can find nothing that works or is relevant. My list of running processes isn't that extensive, and the screensaver refuses to work even on fresh power up without running winamp or WMP--and neither of these is set to put themselves in the system tray.

PLEASE help. i am the guy all my friends go to when they have a computer issue, and i am almost always able to resolve things for other people. for me, though, this screensaver issue, minor as the impact may be on overall functionality, is DRIVING ME TO THE EDGE OF SANTITY.

thanks,
    j

2. delchrys

delchrys Thread Starter

bump...it is killing me...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice