1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Arrange Icons By" option doesn't work anymore!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TechHead84, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechHead84

TechHead84 Thread Starter

Whenever I try to open a file with a program such as Winamp, the programs now "arranges the icons" in some funky random arrangement instead of arranging them by name (or by type, or modified) or whichever order I had preset. When I tell it to "arrange icons by" name or whatever other options, it arranges them....until I try to open something else. Then it's back to the funky random arrangement.

This only happens when trying to access a file from a different program. When I access the folder through Windows, it remembers the arrangement perfectly. Any clue as to what's going on here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Augie65

Augie65

When you select File> Open from your program, when the dialog window opens with the folder tree. On the top and all the way to the right, is an icon that looks like a small explorer window with a down arrow. This is the view menu. Click the down arrow and select the view you want, Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, or Details. This will apply to all folders in the dialog window. It is separate from Windows Explorer folder view.

3. TechHead84

The programs still opens them as a "list", but it doesn't arrange the "list" in the order that they were originally. I had them set to view the list by the names of each file, but now it just does whatever it wants.

No spyware or virii, either. Did a scan for that today.

4. TechHead84

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Still same problem going on!

5. stantley

stantley

Change the view to details, click on the name column header to sort by name, then switch back to list and close the window. It should save the name sort order.

6. TechHead84

It still didn't work. It sorted by name, but when I tried to open that folder within the program, it went back to the original funky, wierd arrangement.

I'm starting to think this is a registry problem or something. Because all other programs are doing the same thing, not just Winamp.

7. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

9. Augie65

Augie65

Try this:
    Open the dialog window from File> Open in your application. When the window opens, right click in a empty spot in the window and select:
    Arrange Icons By> Name.

10. TechHead84

This only works temporarily. Once attempting to open a file from an application, it goes back to whatever it was before I try rearranging them...

11. TechHead84

OK, I found the solution! Here's what I had to do:

1. Right-click Start, click Explore, and then click drive C.
    2. On the View menu, click Details.
    3. Click the Name column to sort items by name, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then quit Windows Explorer by clicking Close in the upper-right corner of the screen.
    4. Release the CTRL key.
    5. Restart your computer.

I'm wondering how this all happened in the first place. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!