1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Arranging Favorites

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chefbrian, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Something simple here that has me scratching my head. I have about 50 or so folders under Favorites in IE. I want to arrange them in alphabetical order to make it easier to find things. Is there a quick way to do this other than drag and drop? Thanks.

2. brindle

brindle

I have 98se and ie6 and to arrange my favorites from a-z you go to start,favorites then right click on anyone of them and choose arrange by name. does this answer your question or have I missed the question?

3. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Brindle. No, you didn't miss the question - I didn't explain fully. Your suggestion works and I like that shortcut - new one to me. What I've done though is created a whole mess of new folders outside of the Favorites folder. What I'm wondering about is arranging all these folders. Do I have to drag them all into the Favorites folder to arrange them alphabetically or is there a quicker way?

4. brindle

brindle

if they are all together you should be able to highlight the first one move your courser off it hold down the shift key and hightlight the last one....edit......copy......hightlight your favorites folder......edit......paste

5. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Okay, so what you're saying Brindle is that I have to move everything into the Favorites folder to arrange them? I thought there might be another way, but if that's the only way to do it, I'll do it. That little trick about highlighting all the folders doesn't work too well though!

6. brindle

brindle

I thought you wanted those folders in your favorites......know what Brindle means? its a greish brown color or an old greying dog

7. brindle

brindle

maybe someone else can jump in here and help the chef out

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

brindle:
    Your method is a fast way to cut/paste into favorites. But, the result will be that the pasted folders are not in alphabetical sequence.
    They will need to be either put in sequence my dragging and dropping from Explorer (or IE), or using the the Sort by Name option in IE favorites.

chefbrian:
    Another option is to use an Explorer icon to access them, instead of doing it from within IE itself.

1. Create a shortcut with the properties of C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,c:\Windows\Favorites and drag it onto your Quicklaunch bar.
    This will open Explorer and let you tailor the view

2. Same as #1, except drag the shortcut into \Windows\favorites\Links
    And then Select the Links ToolBar to display from within IE.

Now you can click on the Links icon in the toolbar, select the shortcut and Explorer will start.

With these methods, the sites will be always sorted and you won't need to periodically Sort Favorites

9. brindle

brindle

Good advice WhitPhil, thanks

10. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Cool - WhitPhil! I like Option #2. Learn something new everyday.
    However, I still have to drag 50 or so folders into the Links folder.
    Uh, got any ideas how I can select them all in one shot so I can drag them all into the Links folder in one move ? Selecting one folder at the top and holding down Shift at the bottom doesn't do the job.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

First, I don't think you want to drag these new folders into Links. You want to drag them into Favorites.
    The Links suggestion above, would only contain the one shortcut that runs Explorer, that would in turn open Favorites in an Explorer Window.

The easiest way to copy???

Open two Explorer windows and then shrink the windows so that both are open on the desktop.
    Position one so that Favorites is available, then from the second drag and drop each folder on top of Favorites.

(assuming that these folders will then be "high level" folders within Favorites. That is, when you open Favorites, you want to see these "50" at the next level. If not, then drag and drop the various 50, into the particular folder within favorites. If you really have 50 that you want to move in, may I suggest you create higher level categories in order to make finding these a lot easier. Categories such as Graphics, Sound, Reference, etc., then within these, create sub category folders. Eg: Under Reference, create folders such as Books, Auction Sites, Cars, Search Engines, Sports, Cooking, etc. In this way it "should" be easier to find things. And, you can use Explorer to reorganize these folders and/or urls anytime by just dragging and dropping them into the correct folders)

12. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Gotcha. Thanks. Today has been a revelation.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice