1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Arrg Windows restarting problem/can't reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by right, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. right

right Thread Starter

Let me start by saying that this problem has happened before, and I'm pretty sure it was after installing the windows updates. How I resolved this problem before, I have no clue - I just tried it once and it worked.

What the problem was: Windows XP would restart immediatly before or after the "Welcome" screen - sometimes with a message "The application was started (installed?) succesfully" (I don't remember exactly)

First attempt
    First I figured I'd just reinstall windows after backing my things up. Well whenever I tried to load the install disk, my computer would restart after detecting all my hardware and loading all the drivers that the install requires - in essence, the step right before it asks you if you want to repartition your drive(s). Having no clue what was causing this problem*, I figured maybe the install disk was trying to read some corrupt data on my hard disk, and restarted because of some error.

Was fdisk the answer?
    So after trying knoppix (which failed at the hardware detection step), I went and found backtrack and got that to boot without a problem. However, fdisk and cfdisk just gave an error about not being able to write to my hd. Arg.

The ultimatebootdisk(.com if you don't know what it is) attempt
    I tried to use one of the disk partitioning tools on the cd after successfully booting it (it was called something like rasheef) and it worked! After about an hour's work, the tool changed the data on my hard disk to all 0's and destroyed all partitions. In addition, I erased the Master Boot Record.

Will the Windows XP disk install now?
    **** no. The thing still does what it did before, restart before even getting to the disk partition step.

For the sake of goodness, Windows/Dos'rs, SAVE MY SANITY!

*couldn't be an overheating problem, could it? My linux disks would all work without problem

2. right

right Thread Starter

Ok well I've found the solution. It was a pretty silly problem actually - something was up with my hardrive, I'm guessing it was loose. I opened up the case, took out the hardrive, plugged it back in, and everything works fine now. whew.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice