1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Arris sbg6580, ethernet lag, gaming plus netflix

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Codylee11, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codylee11

Codylee11 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have a Motorola arris sbg6580 modem router combo. I have a desktop pc and ps4 That I use mostly. My ps4 is used for streaming Netflix or YouTube while I game online with my pc. I also have a couple phones connected to the Wi-Fi. The ps4 an pc are usually connected by ethernet and the phones are rarely used on the internet. Also my internet provider is time Warner and I pay for turbo which is 20mb/sec download and 2mb/upload.

I got my router some time about a year ago and for a few months everything was fantastic but all of a sudden one day my girlfriend hops on netflix while I'm playing rainbow six siege and i start rubber banding hard in game and get disconnections left and right even though my ping is at an average of 100 or less. She gets off netflix and I'm good. Same with dark souls and any other game, he'll even my pc YouTube takes long to buffer if the ps4 is running netflix at the same time.

I have done a speed test multiple times, getting at least 22/dl and 2.5/ul each time so I know my router is getting the speed. Even contacted time Warner and they said all was good on their end. So I got a hold of arris had them take a look at my routers setup. Guy spent like 30 min asking me questions on how I have everything hooked up and what numbers I see on my routers homepage. He's stumped. Says that even with 15mb/sec using the ps4 and pc through ethernet cables I shouldn't be getting such interference. The security is set to low. All the numbers look good to him. So that's that I suppose.

So last night I decided to unplug the ethernet from the ps4. So now I have just my pc using hard connection where as everything else is Wi-Fi. Still really only my ps4 using the Wi-Fi(i also tried disconnecting all other devices we weren't using) And I get the same thing. Netflix starts loading Buffy the vampire slayer and I get headshotted by a dude looking around a corner so fast he wasn't even on screen yet and my teammates are moon walking around the map like we're supposed to be playing dance dance revolution.

I don't really know where else I can go or really what I'm looking for but I've tried new cables and different ethernet ports and about everything else I know of, so my question is, does anyone know what the issue could be? And is there a way to solve it?

I appreciate any help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!