1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Arrow frozen- Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by triciabard, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. triciabard

triciabard Thread Starter

Typing this from my wife's computer as my arrow in Windows 7 is frozen in middle of desktop...Not using a mouse.

I have restarted the computer twice, without any change. Last night I was able to 'restore' to June 6, and still no change.

I am able to use the keyboard to hit Microsoft flag icon (not sure what is called) on bottom left but don't know where to go once that opens up.

Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model name and model number of that desktop?

Can you clarify what you mean by this comment?

------------------------------------------------------------

3. triciabard

Gateway Laptop NV77H18u Intel Core i5 2430M (2.40GHz)

Arrow is frozen in middle of 'desktop'.

I don't use a mouse- just the touch pad.

:)

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for clarifying you have a laptop and not a desktop. I was wondering about that "no mouse" comment.

According to the support site for the Gateway NV77H series laptop, it came with one of the Windows 7 64-bit versions and has a Synaptics or ElanTech touchpad.

Do you have an external USB wired or wireless mouse that you can connect to that laptop so you can use it and navigate through it?

There may be a hardware issue with the touchpad or it may be disabled or there may be some other issue.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. triciabard

I can go purchase one later today (this is now Bill's wife Tricia posting)... gives me a mouse to use when I have to use his PC! LOL Will post back when it is in hand and hooked up!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Once you get a wired or wireless USB mouse connected to that laptop and can navigate through it, check the mouse properties and see if the touchpad has been disabled or some of its settings need to be adjusted.

If a lot of tapping has been done on the touchpad, it may be damaged.

Personally, I prefer a wireless mouse with a laptop because it makes using it and navigating through it a lot easier and quicker.

7. triciabard

My husband just bought a wired mouse and the arrow is working now.

He has always used the touchpad (I much prefer a wireless mouse with my Mac!)... any way to get the touchpad figured out and possibly fixed?

Thanks!

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There is usually a Fn Key comination to enable or disable the touchpad. It is usually one of the F keys and the Fn. This may have been disabled by accident. The F key to use would likely have a picture of the touch pad embossed on it.

9. triciabard

Yes that worked! F6 plus Fn did the trick! My hubby was cleaning the computer last night and must have triggered it then.

Thanks a million! :)

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Glad to hear it worked for you. Not all Laptops have the Key marked. The Dell I am on now doesn't have the key combo..

11. triciabard

Thank you! The funny thing was I tried that key twice and the arrow still didn't move. I googled to see what the key was on a Gateway and it was the same key. The third time was obviously the lucky charm! LOL

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Glad to hear dustyjay's suggestion worked. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------

13. triciabard

Yes, and I'm delighted to now have a mouse to use (for only $8 LOL) when I use my hubby's computer occasionally!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!