1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

arrrrggghhh! how infuriating can this get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashi, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashi

ashi Thread Starter

i have a P4 machine with a dual boot win 98/win2k OS. just bought an HP psc 950 (print/scan etc). installed and used it for a couple of days without any problems till y'day when it refused to show up in win 98. tried uninstalling/reinstalling which worked once but the problem reappeared today and the darn thing just won't reinstall correctly in win 98 though its working fine in win2k. have read and re-read all the support i could find at HP. followed their advice and still haven't managed to get the printer to work in win 98.

the only piece of advice i didn't follow was to change the usb controller (the device connects via usb) from Intel 82801 BA/BAM universal host controller to Intel 82801 AB mainly because i couldn't find that driver on the list while trying to update it through the device manager and also cos i figured that if the present usb controller was working fine on win2k then it couldn't be a problem on win 98...could it?

so what should i do now?

secondary question: i ALMOST contemplated reinstalling win98 but i'm a bit wary as i've never reformated a drive on a dual-boot system. if one had to do that, how would one go about doing it?

whew...i'm going to be so grateful for any productive answers.

2. brianF

brianF

3. brianF

brianF

4. ashi

ashi Thread Starter

i'm not sure if i've done the right thing. as i couldn't reformat and reinstall win98, i tried cleaning out the registry through conventional methods. that didn't help much so i did a search for all references to the hp printer and deleted those keys. of course i'd backed up and saved the registry BEFORE doing that...just in case something went drastically wrong.

the hp printer installation worked this time but i've got my finger's crossed hoping i haven't made another kind of mess in my registry.

brian, i did download and install the new chipset drivers but i still didn't see the Intel Intel 82801 AB usb host controller while trying to update the driver for the usb host controller.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice