1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Artic 5 problems...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Braxor, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Braxor

Braxor Thread Starter

Hello. The other day I bought some Artic Silver 5 for my laptop (which worked marvilously), and then I decided to put it on my desktop as well. Before the paste, it idled at 32-34c depending on the room temp- after adding the artic silver, it runs at 37-38c. This doesn't really make sence to me, as the paste I used the first time was 99c for a pack of 3. I'm running an AMD 3500+ Venice core with stock heatsink and an MSI k8n Neo4 platinum mobo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ~Braxor.

2. RedHelix

RedHelix

How did you prepare the base of the heatsink before applying the new paste?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. Braxor

Braxor Thread Starter

Ok- turns out I was using too much, but when I went back and followed directions to the letter, the temp remained around 37c.

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

At 32-34C, why did you remove your heatsink and add the A5 in the first place?

6. Braxor

Braxor Thread Starter

I've asked that of myself as well...greed maybe?

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Oh well-lol, we all get that way some times.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the factors that would influence this are either inproper application of the thermal compound, incorrect alignment of the processor in the socket, or something has affected the cooling airflow.

I'd check to see if the clamps are properly aligned, and also if the processor HS mounting bracket is coming loose from the MB, I've had that happen several times.

Did we mention Don't fix things that aren't broken yet?

9. Braxor

Braxor Thread Starter

Ok- I think the hs mounting bracket may be coming loose, as it was very difficult to remove the heatsink both times. Despite my attempts to be as gentile as possible, easing it right and left and such, a substancial amount of force was needed to remove it. The last time I took it off, my heart stopped as I realized my cpu was out of place and slightly ajar, although the lever that clamps it into place had not been released. Fortunatly it still worked fine when I put everything back together. And yes, admittedly I should not be attempting to fix what isn't broken, but I thought "hey, this rocks with crappy thermal compound, it would really rock with artic 5!"
    So, if the mounting is coming loose, how would I confirm that, and then how would I go about fixing it?
    Thanks for all the comments.
    ~Braxor.

10. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I must say that the only real rocking-as you said,computers are custom built.As you do not seem to be able to apply thermal compound correctly,I do not think you have one, so if you do not know what you are doing inside the computer you are better off leaving it alone. Or get someone who knows what they are doing as it will save you money, as in messed up parts by yourself.

11. JohnWill

Well, the only real way to check the mounting is to remove the MB from the case for a close inspection. FWIW, I never try to put the HS on in the case anyway, it's much easier to work on them on the bench.

12. Braxor

Braxor Thread Starter

It is home built- and the first time I put the paste on there was no problem. I don't appreciate your condecending tone; true I'm a bit new at this stuff but I'd much rather have constructive criticism than snotty comments.

13. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Leave it to someone that knows what they are doing, and you have a nice day as well.

14. JohnWill

pugmug, there's no reason to keep jabbing here. If you don't have anything constructive to say, I suggest you say nothing.

15. pugmug

pugmug Banned

If I should apologize for speaking the truth JohnWill, then so be it. I am sorry!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice