Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Artifacts and BSOD (Need help)

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark1956 
#1 ·
Hello, sorry for disturbing you all but I'm having an issue with my computer.
I were playing Minecraft when my PC suddenly had massive artifacts, to the point nothing could be seen, shortly afterwards the PC got a bluescreen and turned off. When it automatically restarted, the artifacts were still there but you can still semi read things. It crashes upon normal startup, I'm able to do almost everything in safe mode. I don't know why this happened either.
After a few restarts, I managed to start the PC without any artifacts at all but upon starting a game it instantly crashed. Ever since it's been artifacts and safe mode only. I'm posting this just before trying to install a new driver and see if it changes anything.

#2 ·
Here's three minidumps. Tell me if you need anything else.'

Windows 7 Ultimate; Service Pack 1 (64 Bit)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

Edit 1: Updated NVidia drivers and it didn't change anything.

Edit 2: After restarting the PC, I'm now locked to 640 x 480 with the colour really odd. I'm not good at all with these things but wouldn't surprise me if it's completely dead now. Adapter Information:
Chip Type <Unavailable>
DAC Type <Unavailable>
Adapter String <Unavailable>
BIOS Information <Unavailable>
Total Available Graphics Memory <Unavailable>
Dedicated Video Memory n/a
System Video Memory n/a
Shared System Memory n/a

Attachments

#3 ·
Does anyone know? I've managed to get it running again with the normal start up, whenever I start a game for example Mine craft or well, anything. It crashes.
It just started crashing on normal mode again. It starts in 640x480 now even though when I try to change the resolution when it was starting semi normally I could only go down to 800x600. Does this mean the graphic card isn't even running sometimes?

#5 ·
Sounds like you may have a defective graphics card. What exactly do you mean by Artifacts (the definition of the word means a man made object).

Run this test and post the results, even if it crashes within seconds of starting it.

OCCT Instructions

• Download OCCT and save to the desktop.
  • Extract the contents of the zip file to the desktop.
  • Double click on the OCCT folder to open it and then double click on the OCCT icon
    to run the program.
  • Click on the GPU 3D tab. Check the Automatic and the Error check buttons, set the duration for 1 hour and leave the rest set at default. Click on the green ON button and leave the test to run. Make sure all programs and your browser are closed and do not use the PC during the test.
  • When the test ends click on the OFF button to close the software.
  • The Results window should open, if not open Documents > OCCT. You should find a folder with todays date on it. Zip the folder and send it as an attachment with your next post.
NOTE

If the test stops before the set time this will indicate it has detected a fault. The program will still save a results folder for you to post.

If the tabs for the PSU and GPU are greyed out it means your DirectX 9 version is too old. OCCT requires DirectX 9.
You can manually check it easily : just look for the file d3dx9_37.dll in the following folder C:\Windows\System32
If it is not present, just download the latest Direct X9 Update for your OS and everything should run fine afterwards.

#6 ·
Hello Mark1956, thanks for the response.

I'm unable to complete the OCCT scan. Approximately 30 seconds in, the computer has massive artifacts all over the screen, which ends with the screen going black. The screen quickly comes back and I see a popup at the lower right corner stating that "Display driver stopped working and has been restored" Less than a second later, the artifacts appear again and repeats these events maybe around 4 times in less than 10 seconds. I eventually get the BSOD, after restarting the PC and looking for the result file, there's none to be found anywhere. During all this, I'm unable to do anything.

Google example pictures of the artifacts:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/zm7oT.jpg
http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/8/8c/8c1d710c_vbattach168163.jpeg

#7 ·
OCCT should have created a results file in your Documents folder, it should be in a folder called OCCT. Take another look. Run the system in Safe Mode with Networking if it won't remain stable enough for you to find and post it here.

It certainly looks like an issue with the graphics card, but it might be down to a bad power supply, the OCCT report will provide some useful information that might help to confirm the cause.

#8 ·
I've now run the test around 10 times. Each attempt ends up crashing the computer with a BSOD, the test length vary from 5-120 seconds. I've made sure that I use the settings you've told me to use and it's still not making the report in the Documents. I also checked the folder that's named after your windows profile and still nothing, I've also searched for it. I'm going to do a factory reset of the computer in hopes of the BSOD's are caused by driver errors, I don't know much about computers but it won't do harm to try. So currently OCCT isn't going to help since it's not making the error report but I'll gladly try any other ideas.

My deepest apologies for the delayed reply. I've been in the hospital for a few days.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear you have had to go to hospital, hope you are feeling better.

OCCT was the one thing I thought would help us, but as it appears the system is crashing so badly before the software has the time to save the report we aren't able to determine the cause using that.

You could try a reinstall of Windows to see if that resolves the problem. My best guess is not a driver issue but hardware. I suspect there is either a problem with your graphics card or the power supply and the only way to test them when software like OCCT won't run is with a hands on approach.

Let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.