Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Artifacts with the GeForce 6600GT

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jackdw 
#1 ·
Okay, I have a bit of a problem. I recently started to upgrade my computer. I bought a new case, fans, and got a better but used mother board and graphics card. Everything was running fine, since I was now using an agp card instead of a pci, and I was able to play my games on the higher settings and shaders that my previous card couldn't handle. I was just using the generic (or I would guess it to be) power supply that came packaged with my new case. I didn't expect much of it but one day it died on me. I was previously using an old sony viao and so I took the power supply from that, a tiny 200 watt PSU, and put it in my computer so that I could get online to order new parts. The PSU from the viao however was alot shorter and because of it being in a much larger case the cables could not stretch to my disc drives but I was able to get everything else powered up so that I could use anything that was on my computer. Everything was working fine, too. I was even able to get into my games, namely Lineage 2, and even with the 200 watt PSU I was still able to play it flawlessly on all the same settings I was previously.

I ordered a new power supply, Thermaltake TR2-430W, and a new heat sink, Thermaltake Silent Boost RX K7, as the old one was pretty loud. The new PSU and heat sink lowered my computers temp a good bit too.

The problem came after installing the new hardware and when I try to play games. Lineage 2, Thief 3, and especially Oblivion, get these flashing textures (usually of green and purple) on the screen. And they follow the textures of the item in game, so that you won't have the artifact crossing from one item in the game into another.

Another thing is that the textures, at least for Lineage, only have the artifacts on them if using a certain type of shader (I believe it was called hdr or something). Even if I keep all my graphics on the highest setting but switch to what is called the 'glow' shader the problem goes away.

I've tried making sure the power cable is plugged into my card properly, I updated my drivers, and I lowered my processor speed because I did have it over-clocked a bit. None of this fixed the problem and my computer is not over-heating. Plus I don't see how my card could be damaged since it was working fine with a 200 watt power supply.

Here is my specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
Page File: 211MB used, 1666MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I am not exactly stellar when it comes to computer problems like this, so if anymore information is needed just let me know.

See less See more
#3 ·
Before I upgraded and was using a pci graphics card no shader, as it wasn't supported. But when I started to upgrade I was using the hdr and it ran fine no problems. It wasn't till later when I installed the new PSU and heat sink that I started to have problems with that shader and had to switch to the 'glow' shader in lineage.

#4 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is something that I have not tried yet, as I am not really sure how to, is that I was told to try and re-install the graphics card. The way I believe my cousin was describing it was to disconnect the graphics card completely, run the computer with the built-in card, uninstall the things for the 6600GT and then re-install everything. Or at least that is what I got out of it.

#5 ·
Everything was working fine, too. I was even able to get into my games, namely Lineage 2, and even with the 200 watt PSU I was still able to play it flawlessly on all the same settings I was previously.
None of this fixed the problem and my computer is not over-heating. Plus I don't see how my card could be damaged since it was working fine with a 200 watt power supply.

Well to let you know that a cheap, under powered, failing ext.. (any of those) can cause serious damage to any component. usually the more sensitive ones like ram and video card goes first. You may of been able to play your games but that does not mean you was not damaging your card while you was doing it.

One thing I forgot to mention is something that I have not tried yet, as I am not really sure how to, is that I was told to try and re-install the graphics card. The way I believe my cousin was describing it was to disconnect the graphics card completely, run the computer with the built-in card, uninstall the things for the 6600GT and then re-install everything. Or at least that is what I got out of it.
That would be the best thing you could do if you have a onboard GPU chip (graphics built in on motherboard).
Download one of these driver cleaners
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Driver-Cleaner.shtml
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3214
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=865
Remove the driver

unplug the computer, open the case, uninstall the card
Boot backup without the card in, ( a few times like 2-3 reboots)
Shutdown, unplug, install video card, boot and download the latest driver for the card.

If that does not work I would say the card may be damaged.

#6 ·
Eep! =X I didn't know using an underpowered PSU could damage a card. I hope that is not the case, I really don't have the money to buy a new one. Though I could still use it as is...just in the glow filter for lineage and not play the other games. Or would that risk causing more damage? Also, you mentioned RAM. Could that also be the problem? And if so, any easy way to test it aside removing the chips one by one?

I will try this tonight or tomorrow when I have some time. Is there any one of those 3 driver cleaners that you'd recommend? Like is the first the best?

Thank you so much for the help and info though.

#7 ·
memtest86can test your ram. I don't know where you can get it from so wait for someone else unless you know where to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.