1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ashampoo UnInstaller 4

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Boxeador, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boxeador

Boxeador Thread Starter

I downloaded this program after posting that I needed some help with my antivirus progrma(s) and got some great advice. Now, I'm trying to clean up my old/slow pc: emachines T3985, Celeron CPu 2.93 GHz w/ 496 or ram. Windows XP, Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 3.

When I ran a find/delete temp files, I get a ton of different files. I want to know which files it will be safe to delete. Below is a brief description of the files. I can be more specific if I need to.

• ZLT files (web search said these were Zone Alarm files...just uninstalled Zone Alarm as it slowed my system.
    • Perfib_Perdata
    • A lot of C:\DOCUME~1\LOCAL OWNERS~1\TEMP\~DFC ( a lot of "D" followed by different letters and number configurations; ex:DFDA21.temp
    • a bunch of mpeg files
    • some Avira Antivirus desktop files (just installed this program)
    Also, if anyone can suggest anything to help speed this machine up, I would greatly appreciate it. I may replace it when I get some funds, but it has my web site that uses an older program; and it uses XP and won't work with Vista. Also, my disk copier quit working suddenly (Nero) and I thiought that this may be a way to save some suff to disk to free up space on pc. Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Everything inside of these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

is safe to delete.
    If a few files resist deletion, leave them alone and delete everything else.
    It's all junk and is a good place for a "nasty" to hide.

It's good practice to do it on a regular basis, especially if you do a lot of downloading, installing, uninstalling, etc..
    If you don't, they can build up to hundreds or even thousands of files over time.

-------------------------------------------------------

Here are some ways to speed up your computer:

Increase the RAM from its current amount of 512 MB to 1024 MB or 2048 MB.
    The eMachines T3985 supports 2048 MB of RAM and uses DDR PC2700 or DDR PC3200 modules.

Reduce the number of programs and services that auto-load and run in the background.
    Many of them don't need to auto-load and run at all, and others can be manually started as needed.

Don't install and use a bunch of system-hungry programs.

Keep the buildup of malware and spyware cleaned out.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Boxeador

Boxeador Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help! My PC is running much faster! This is a great forum and I always get good assistance!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's great, and you're welcome. :D :) (y)

------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice