1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Ask" Toolbar Won't Stop ASKING!!!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by robhic, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Just bought a new computer to replace an older (9 years) one that was DOA. Running Windows 7 and all works, but I keep getting a popup telling me "askBar.dll" wants to install on my system. I have an app which prevents anything from installing without my permission and it incessantly pops up (every 5 minutes!) telling me this askBar wants to install.

I hit "no" and 5 minutes later it pops up AGAIN!!! I've spent the better part of the day running 4-5 apps I have trying to remove this monster but none has worked. I've run HiJack, RegSeeker and the install-preventing program which has a screen to remove and/or stop stuff from installing. NADA! This is making me crazy. It just won't stop. Every 5 minutes.

Please somebody HELP because this has ruined my entire day. It just won't stop. Here's the TSG info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12178 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461379 MB, Free - 408410 MB; I: Total - 200294 MB, Free - 119800 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YJPT1
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

FYI, I didn't think I had Avast installed because I deleted it as the machine came with a Trend Micro trial program that the tech guy I hired to come out to assist with the migration from old XP to new Windows7 said was a very good program.

Thanks for any and all info to remove this vile POS thing from my new system.

2. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Update: I got referenced to a site on how to remove that dreaded ASK toolbar. Using HJT and the CCleaner, I seem to have been able to get rid of it. I am going to give it a day or so before marking "solved" and I also have another intrusive (seemingly) BHO named "Iminent" that seems intent on clogging my new system, too.

I used those tools in my earlier attempts to rid the computer of the ASK toolbar. Why didn't it work then? :confused: Stay tuned ....

3. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Looks like the Ask toolbar is history. (y) Windows 7 is not XP :( but I'm getting more used to it. Looks like previous malware.toobars/stuff has been banished. Fingers crossed....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice