1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

asms file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tlolson, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlolson

tlolson Thread Starter

May 20, 2009
    I just bought a used sony vaio laptop. The problem is when I go to turn it on it tries to install windows and tells me to insert service pack 3 disk. Problem is I don't have one. I downloaded service pack 3 and burnt it to a disk. When I load that it tells me the file "asms" on window xp professional service pack 3 cd is needed. type the path where the file is loacated? d:/i386? Any suggestions?
  2. 12tipp12

Jun 7, 2005
    Hi, try burning at a slower speed, download and burn at the slower speed as it seems the file needed is not where it should be.

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Mar 9, 2009
    It's also possible that the computer is looking for the XP installation CD, and that the disk used to install XP had SP3 already installed.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828637