1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASP complete function reference on the web?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Puritan, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Is there a place where I can search a complete reference of all ASP functions? I'm trying to convert some ASP pages to PHP, but I don't know ASP very well, and there are calls ASP is making whose purpose and function is unknown to me. Unlike www.php.net, www.asp.net didn't seem to have a searchable list of functions, and I couldn't find one successfully on google either. Does anyone know where I can find a list? Is it on asp.net and I just missed it like an idiot? Or another good reference site? Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

ASP.net or plain jane ASP?

3. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Plain jane ASP. I don't know even its most basic function calls, but I need to read it, not write it, so a searchable complete function index, as opposed to an ASP-for-beginners guide, is what I need...

4. Rockn

Rockn

Function calls are based on what function they are trying to add to their application. There is no set list of functions in ASP as it is just a scripting language not a full blown programming language. If you are looking for sytax or something like that you might be able to round that up that fairly easily. Is there an example of a function call you are attempting to convert?

5. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Well (and this might be very basic ASP, please bear with me :eek:):

Code:
    Set DBConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    DBConn.Open Application("MS_ConnectionString")

This opens a connection to the database, but the example ASP I've seen has things like DBConn.Open("database", "login", "password", otherstuff). Application("MS_ConnectionString"), I presume, retrieves a string that specifies what database to open, but I can't find what the Application function does (or where they're getting this string either, but that's another story).

Later:

Code:
    pageThis = trim(Request("pageThis"))

Again, the things I've seen imply that Request is a global object with public fields for things like post inputs and stuff, but I haven't seen it as a function (and it doesn't seem to be operating on the db so much as being an independent function)...

And then...

Code:
    If Session("UID") = "" Then
    	'expire now
    	If intExpire = 0 Then
    		Response.Redirect("/")
    	'redirect to login page
    	Else
    		Response.Redirect("/member/LogIn.asp?strURL=" & strURL)
    	End If
    End If

I read there was no exact equivalent of "Session" in php... how would I translate this?

The pages I have to do would seem to be pretty basic (albeit poorly written) ASP, but as I have no knowledge of ASP at all and no info as to the actual underlying data structures (i.e. I have to reverse engineer how everything works from the ASP, I don't actually know how the databases and stuff work), it's annoying. I'm sure other mysteries besides these functions will pop up later, however, so requesting help on individual things will probably result in me posting all of the pages in their entirety :) which is why a complete index, where I can search for things like Application, Request, Session, and whatever else comes up, would be great. Anyway, any help is appreciated, thanks.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Those aren't function calls they are probably stored procedures on a SQL server. I am assuming that is what they are using for a back end. Session variables can be set in an include file and I bet that is where most of your application variables, etc are hiding from you. Look in a global.asa file or in any include files specified at the beginning of your pages, they usually load before any other code.

7. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Ah, you're right, they are hiding from me in a global.asa file and seem to be string constants. Is global.asa something that's always just loaded by all asp pages in the same directory even without a specific include statement (the asp page I was editing never made mention of it amongst the files it was including, which is why I wasn't looking for it)? Okay, I'm going to go with that and try to convert that through to PHP... thanks. (Hopefully, I'll be able to do this without running into any more snags... :))

8. Rockn

Rockn

The global.asa is for setting all of the application variables and I believe it is used as kind of a session variable thing for the entire application. I personally never use it but I have one application in the office that does in a limited way.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice