1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aspect ratio 4X6 instead of 16X9

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by daowen, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daowen

daowen Thread Starter

Hello all.

I have an Asus K40IN hooked up to my Akai 50 inch wide screen. The laptop is running Win 7 64 bit.

Windows is reporting that the Akai is only a 4X6 monitor instead of the 16X9 that it actually is. I never had the problem with Vista or XP.

I have looked at the monitor settings and it will not let me go past 1024 X 768. I am kinda at a loss on this problem.

Any suggestions?

I have updated the drivers for the laptop from the manufacturers site.

Doug

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

I don't think you mean "4x6" you probably meant 4x3.

From what I can determine, the ASUS 40IN laptop you have is already a 1366x768 display (nearly 16:9). You should at least be able to send that signal out to your external video port, which you have connected to your Akai 50 plasma TV (I think that is what you have). You did not mention the model number of the TV, but if it is the one that I found, then it also is 1366x768.

IF (that is a big *IF*) your laptop's display is properly displaying 1366x768 then it should also be able to send that same signal out the video port.

But not all TVs, with VGA connections, can use the full resolution of the screen. Without knowing the model of the TV I can't tell you the specs of the VGA input and its display capability. But if your laptop display is at 1366x768 and your TV is not, then it sounds like your TV is limited to something less.

One other possibility is your monitor driver is not the real problem, it is your video driver. if the video driver can not either set to 1366x768, or can't send that same resolution out the video port, then perhaps you need to update your video driver.

You have to tell us more.

3. daowen

daowen Thread Starter

Okay, the model of the TV is the PDP5073TMC. I had an older XP laptop hooked to it and had no problem displaying the 16 X 9. The TV actually can handle it with no problem. It is my thoughts that the driver is limiting it for some reason. Windows 7 actually installed the driver and will not allow me to us a generic on in it's place. Every time I try to flip it the dang thing reverts back. I used god mode to change the resolution but as soon as I hook up the TV it goes back to a stretched screen again.

Makes you want to throw one of them out...

Doug

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Now I see that what you have is a monitor, and not a TV. Not that it changes much of what I said, but it does tell me that this is a fairly old, and probably limited, plasma panel. Being that it is just a monitor, then there is little reason I can think of that should prevent the monitor from getting to use the full 1366x768 resolution of the monitor. After all, that is its sole purpose in life, to use the full screen.

You kept mentioning the 4:3 and 16:9 mode, but have yet to mention the actual resolution. I thought that a bit odd, since I seldom ever see the ratios displayed, just the actual pixels. But, from some of the forums I had read through, it seems that the Akai controls just show ratio selections, not the pixel values. Having a screen adjusted to some ratio and not actually on the exact pixel resolution of the screen can give you properly proportioned views, but not clear. For example, a 1280x720 source displayed on a 1366x768 screen would be proportioned right, but since the plasma pixels are "smearing" to try and match the fewer than expected video signal pixels. (Unless you could set for, or use, a black border, thus not having any smearing at all. Just the center 1280x720 pixels would be used.)

I could not find any online manuals for your monitor. What I did find was some people mentioning that the manual, such as it is, was very limited, anyway. See if there is any way of keeping the monitor from auto-adjusting itself, to lock the screen (but I don't think you will). You are using the VGA input, aren't you?

You might want to ensure you have the latest drivers for your ASUS K40IN, especially the nVidia INF Driver, located in the "Chipset" area.

One last point, you mentioned using "god mode" I know what that is, and it is not as god-like as the name implies. All that is is a special named folder with all of the various adjustments and settings in one place, instead of needing to go 2 or 3 or more, window selections to get to some adjustment. There is no special "power" of any of the screens that are accessible in that folder. All those same adjustment controls are available through the usual Control Panel, or however else, drill-down method. It really ought to be called "Convenience Folder" or perhaps "Control Folder," in my opinion.

5. daowen

daowen Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I will update the drivers for the video card again to make sure everything is good.

The reason I used the 16:9 and such is that it's easier than putting the actual resolution which is 1024X768. I do not know why the resolution area of the laptop says the monitor is a 4X3 instead of 16X9 size. That is the area that is sticking and makes everything stretch.

I will see what happens with the update for now.

Thanks,

Doug

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

No, your monitor has a full resolution of 1366x768 (a 16x9 ratio).
    Your laptop computer also has the same 1366x768 display built in. I would hope you should be able to connect that VGA output of your laptop right to the VGA input of your Akai monitor, with that same resolution.

1024x768 is a 4:3 ratio.
    Putting a 1024x768 display on a 1366x768 screen will either result on a display stretched wider to fill out the more horizontal pixels, or have a black bar on the left and right to black out the (1366-1024= ) 342 unneeded pixels.

If the laptop is stuck in believing your connected external monitor is a 4x3, then that is because you don't have the proper monitor INF file (this is also considered a driver,... it isn't, but close enough for this discussion) to inform Windows what the capabilities of the monitor are.
    So, either try and find the correct monitor driver to get the real settings,
    OR
    learn how to edit the INF file for the monitor (I won't help you with that, I don't recommend that a novice try that)
    OR
    try another monitor type, your current one may be the "Generic PnP Monitor"
    OR (and this is the easy one)
    go to the Display, Screen Resolution page. Click on the "Advanced settings" link, click on the "Monitor" tab.
    On that page you should see a checkbox for "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and un-check that.
    Then you may be able to select a monitor resolution of 1366x768.

Good luck!

7. daowen

daowen Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

I checked the area of the display resolution that you suggested but the "Hide modes that this monitor..." is blanked out. I cannot reach it.

Is there a generic monitor driver besides the one that windows suggested that could work?

Regards,

Doug

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is there a driver (.inf file) provided by your monitor manufacturer?

9. daowen

daowen Thread Starter

Unfortunately no. I have messaged them twice now and no response.

Doug

10. ChuckE

ChuckE

OK, here is one more possibility, and this is a "trial and error" method: change your monitor type from Generic PnP to some best guess manufacturer and monitor type.

Try some other monitor driver selection in the Windows7 selection process.
    This is going to take some (perhaps a lot of) time of try one .... reboot (if needed), try it ... nope, then roll back, try again.

I think you may find some setting, some company, that will have a driver that will correctly function with your externally connected Akai 50" plasma monitor.

This is going to take some test, test, test and patience, but if you consider how much time this has already taken, perhaps this is going to be quicker.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some monitors have one or more control buttons (in addition to on/off). If yours does, you may want to check them out.

12. daowen

daowen Thread Starter

Thanks for that ChukE, I will give that a try when I get home.

TerryNet:
    The function buttons that control the TV will not effect the computer.

Doug

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Whoops. :eek: I confused your TV with the 22" monitor in another thread. Sorry.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!