1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aspect Ratio Converter

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ozziebeanie, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:04 PM.

Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

Hi All

I have recorded a 16:9 ratio video that has ended up as a squashed up 4:3 aspect file and I want to convert the squashed up file to its original format of 16:9, is there any program (free) that will convert this permantly to the 16:9 format, the only free programs I can find are one that convert formats not aspect ratio.

I have looked at Windows Movie Maker and the option there to click on 16:9 is there but it puts the squashed up 4:3 in to a 16:9 frame with black bars each side.

Cheers

Serena

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Which Freebee did you try ... DaVinci looks like it might (should) be able to "Scale" horizontally.

You might try the "Free Trial" of Adobe Premiere Elements ..
    It looks like the transform effect will do what you want ... Scale Width.
    You really need to get away from M$ WMM .. I'm glad I did.
    Or can you get me the video ???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 10:02 AM
  4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I see a Width sizing control in the freeware DaVinci ..

5. ozziebeanie

Hi Noyb, thanks for answering, the vid was just something random we recorded off the TV, no particular program or anything, and while recording on the TV it was full screen on the telly, I was just trying out recording from the tv but when it came to playback or putting it on the computer it came up not the same, I left that particular recording at my dads and don't have the same device to record from here, I will send your answer to my dad and get him to try out what you said, will post here when I hear back from him.

Cheers
    Serena

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Sounds like your problem is in the Telley recording device - or its settings.
    The fix wont be very easy unless your familiar with editing videos. ..
    or may be impossible if the sides were cropped.

You've got me curious .. Stay in touch

7. ozziebeanie

Hi Noyb

It may be the device, my dad did not understand the second to last line of your last post, he recorded it on a thing that looks like a set-top box well it is one, but one able to record, he usually down loads programs he has missed on the computer and that works ok he records it via streaming but wanted to get an even better picture by recording directly from the TV, (via streaming also via iView which allows you to catch up on programs you have missed, either way so far has not got the greatest picture, not as good as what is on the screen but good enough to watch, which is the main thing but we were just trying to improve on it.

Will keep you posted

Serena

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Editing the video may not be what you want to do ...
    It takes me several hours to edit>remake a one hr video.
    Resizing like this means that each frame of the video has to be processed before a new video can be saved/viewed.
    It takes the computer longer to edit each frame than it does to watch it.
    Sounds like editing may not be worth the effort .. and the loss of quality.
    I suspect your problem might be in iView or how its downloaded.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199430