1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASPI is not properly installed, Tape and CD/DVD devices will not be accessible...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckylanny, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckylanny

luckylanny Thread Starter

:confused: "ASPI is not properly installed, Tape and CD/DVD devices will not be accessible under Windows 95/98/Me."

I have a dual boot system: Windows XP Home Edition and Windows 98se. I also have two cd/rw drives. One is a Hewlett Packard 9350i; the other a Samsong SW-208F (which came with this E-Monster 1000B computer. Both devices in this partition show 1999 Microsoft drivers are installed and working with no problems. Also, Device Manager shows no problems with either drive.

I have had a problem with slow-downs and freezes after using this system for a reasonable period of time, usually a little over an hour. The only way I can prevent a complete freeze-up at some point is to keep the 32-bit box checked under the Troubleshooting tab in My Computer's "Properties/Advanced Settings" section. This solves the freeze problem, but renders the two cd/rw drives useless.

Hp.com no longer offers drivers for its cd/rw device, although I do have their old downloads (which do not contain drivers). The freeware driver site offers no hp driver downloads and only one download for the Samsong cd/rw. Unfortunately, the unzipped .exe file will not open, claiming it cannot find the cd drive. As a result, neither drive is recognized and I have the freeze-up problem with which to contend. The error message comes from my external Maxtor hard drive log after a C:/ drive system backup is
    performed.

I searched and found an ASPI .exe program, which I clicked on and installed (or reinstalled), but nothing changed. I hope these drives are not too old to use. The surprising thing to me is that I never installed any of HP's or Samsong's drivers in XP and the both drives work just fine, apparently because of their Windows XP drivers.

Any suggestions? Need more information? "This operator depends upon his friends. Help! Help!" (To paraphrase Arch Ward's "Wake Of The News" slogan, used back in the old days, when the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, Herald-American and Chicago Daily News were the only places in which to surf and ITs only meant the possesive form of it.)

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

In the english used by the people that write motherboard manuals. :)

Please to install and download ForceASPI.
    Please to use instruction: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101614

Must to be aware, virus and malware should cuase problems, must clean.

If do fail, please to use SFC /scannow and scanreg /restore from CLI (commanded line interfaces) run command may fix.

:D
    :p

3. luckylanny

luckylanny Thread Starter

These solutions are very dated. Mostly for use with Windows 95, rather than Windows 98se. One of the problems seems to involve an old system file from 1999: aspienum.vxd. The three other driver files are all July 2002 files. I cannot locate this file at Adaptec, Roxio or on any of my discs. Backing up the original files only makes the problem worse, since this file disappears from the system and I get a message when rebooting. There has to be a better way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice