1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASPI layer files, Win 98 FIRST EDITION

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TMaslanka, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMaslanka

TMaslanka Thread Starter

I'm helping out a friend of my son who has lost or threw out his Win 98 first edition disk. I'm installing a cd-rom and have to reinstall some crupted ASPI files. I have the 2nd edition but need the first. Any ideas where to find them other wize I'll have to buy a disk on ebay for $31. Thanks Tom

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't see why the second edition wouldn't have the necessary files on it.......Aspi versions can be updated outside of the operating system.

More info:

Hunting for ASPI Drivers
    Either the original ASPI drivers installed with Win95/98 or the newest version of the ASPI drivers from Adaptec now support both ATAPI and SCSI drives. The install program from Adaptec checks an entry in the Registry before installing. If you don't have EZSCSI or an Adaptec SCSI card installed then these drivers won't install. In that case have a look at one of the files below that will install. Once the new drivers are installed on the machine, the driver checks for a specific registry entry during the boot up process. If the entry is there, then ATAPI access is allowed through the drivers. If the entry is not there then only SCSI access is allowed through the drivers.

The first thing to check is to make sure that you have a fully functional set of driver files. Adaptec has produced a tool called ASPICHK which will tell you all about the health and version numbers of the drivers on your system.
    ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/pub/BBS/win95/aspichk.exe

And to extract them from the Operating system cd:

Restoring the driver files from the original Win95/98 installation CD or disks
    If all else fails you can restore the ASPI drivers to the files that came with your Win95/98 disks.Once you have extracted the files you can just copy them into the appropriate locations and reboot.

For Win95 here is an example:
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab wnaspi32.dll
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab winaspi.dll
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab apix.vxd
    extract /e d:\win95\win95_03.cab aspi2hlp.sys

For Win98 here is an example:
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_40.cab wnaspi32.dll
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_40.cab winaspi.dll
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_47.cab apix.vxd
    extract /e d:\win98\win98_46.cab aspi2hlp.sys

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice